Audio Differences

MKV playback, recompression, remuxing, codec packs, players, howtos, etc.
oXdanXo

Audio Differences

Post by oXdanXo »

Hi guys,

With 4k discs playing through an xbox that is connected directly to a soundbar there is a higher quality audio.
When I rip the film to a drive and play it through the TV (TV connected to soundbar), the audio seems worse and there seems to be fewer tracks.
Is there anyway I can verify what audio track is playing?

Thanks
Grauhaar

Re: Audio Differences

Post by Grauhaar »

That's normal, because most "Smart" TVs have only limited audio supported (number of channels, no DTS and so on) and passes this bad audio stream over the internal electronic to the soundbar.
The only real working solution is to use an AV Receiver, connect all equpment (input and output), all the speakers or soundbar/desk (any soundbar is always a compromise, due to limited speakers, dynamic and virtual surround pimping) and TV on it and use this as the primary input switch for any equipment. In this case, the TV acts only as an monitor and the AV Receiver get's full control over all equipment and the audio and video signals and can interpret it (decoding and use it's amplifier -> speakers) or pass it to the output equipment (soundbar) in the best supported quality.
Good Luck :)

Re: Audio Differences

Post by BlueMac77 »

oXdanXo wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 8:34 pm
Hi guys,

With 4k discs playing through an xbox that is connected directly to a soundbar there is a higher quality audio.
When I rip the film to a drive and play it through the TV (TV connected to soundbar), the audio seems worse and there seems to be fewer tracks.
Is there anyway I can verify what audio track is playing?

Thanks
Playing the movie thru the TV usually does not produce high quality audio and audio is just “flat”, Grauhaar is correct. What I do is have my computer connected to a Marantz AV Receiver and large floor standing speakers and subwoofers connected to the Marantz receiver. Both the receiver and speakers must be good brands to give that thunderous explosions and crisps details.