Add DVD audio track to Blu-Ray Rip

MKV playback, recompression, remuxing, codec packs, players, howtos, etc.
mgutt

Add DVD audio track to Blu-Ray Rip

Post by mgutt »

I really like to have The Usual Suspects as HD rip. In my country it's only available as DVD. Now I like to buy the UK Blu-Ray and the local DVD, export the DVD audio track and import it through MKVToolNix into the Blu-Ray rip. Do you think this will cause any problems? For example lip sync / audio delay? I'm not sure as the Blu-Ray has 1920x1080 @ 24 and the DVD should have 720x480 @ 23.976 (?).

EDIT: Ok it could be a problem. It depends if the Blu-Ray is really using 24 fps and not 23.976 fps. So I need to wait for the Blu-Ray and DVD to check it exactly. References:
https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/357 ... ut-of-Sync
https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/384 ... v-and-sync
https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/389 ... -issues%29
Grauhaar

Re: Add DVD audio track to Blu-Ray Rip

Post by Grauhaar »

mgutt wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 4:10 pm
I really like to have The Usual Suspects as HD rip. In my country it's only available as DVD. Now I like to buy the UK Blu-Ray and the local DVD, export the DVD audio track and import it through MKVToolNix into the Blu-Ray rip. Do you think this will cause any problems?
Done for some discs which are not available, but the audio speed (25fps versus 23,976fps) is the problem and must be corrected. The other problem is, that the DVD may have other start trailers (Movie company) and the bigger problem can be, some parts of the movie are missing due to cuts on the DVD which are included on Blu-ray.

The audio length can be adjusted with "Audacity" "Speed/Tempo" option with an increase/stretch of approx. 1,0427. MKVTOllNIX has also a Stretch option, but only for Video and Subtitle tracks.
-Load the DVD audio, note an 5.1 track has 6 channels in Audacity, select all of them before using the stretch function.
-Load also the Blu-ray audio (to see it for compare)

Check the start of the two audio tracks (trailers during start), shift the DVD track in the right postion (clear the wrong trailers part) and adjust the length (stretch) of the DVD audio track. Check if the sound peaks are now on the same position on both tracks, otherwise adjust the speed increase a little bit. In can happen that the lip sync is not correct over the complete movie, but this can be corrected with MKVToolNIX for the single audio track with the delay (+-) option.

It's a time consuming task, but it works :)
For example lip sync / audio delay? I'm not sure as the Blu-Ray has 1920x1080 @ 24 and the DVD should have 720x480 @ 23.976 (?).
No, the DVD has 25fps (if PAL), and the Blu-ray 23,976fps (typicaly), some has 24 or 25fps
Good Luck :)

Post by mgutt »

Grauhaar wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 4:39 pm
the bigger problem can be, some parts of the movie are missing due to cuts on the DVD which are included on Blu-ray.
Hopefully not. We will see.

What do you think about pitching the audio to avoid getting a lower sound?

This calculator suggests to correct the audio with SoX by pitching it up by 4.271%:

Code: Select all

sox [input] [output] tempo 0.96
Grauhaar

Post by Grauhaar »

Audacity can correct this optionaly during stretching the DVD audio track to the length of the Blu-ray track. Test it out, maybe it sounds better. It depends how the DVD track has been created during shrinking.
Good Luck :)