Windows doesn’t display thumbnail after DVD Rip

MKV playback, recompression, remuxing, codec packs, players, howtos, etc.
hintauh

Windows doesn’t display thumbnail after DVD Rip

Post by hintauh »

Hello. I ripped a DVD today, and I saw that the file doesn’t have any thumbnail. I have movies which have thumbnail, but not the one I ripped with MakeMKV, how can I make Windows add a random thumbnail from the movie?
Woodstock

Re: Windows doesn’t display thumbnail after DVD Rip

Post by Woodstock »

Windows doesn't consider MKV files to be media files because the Microsoft app doesn't understand them. If the MS app doesn't work, Explorer is lost. If you have another app that DOES know about MKV files, that app's icon will be displayed, but not the thumbnail.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Peter_Pan

Post by Peter_Pan »

So based on what I've read, the MKV files are containers for the DVD native format, which is MPEG2. Is there any way to do a 1:1 conversion of the MKV files made by NakeMKV into a more standard MPEG2 file? I was hoping to use PLEX with ROKU to remotely view my video library. But it starting to seem like apps that will play these MKV files are few.
bmillham

Post by bmillham »

Plex has no problems with mkv support that I've ever heard of.
But it starting to seem like apps that will play these MKV files are few.
mkv is well supported. Complain to Micro$oft about their refusal to recognize it.
basdf

Re: Windows doesn't display thumbnail after DVD Rip

Post by basdf »

Peter_Pan wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:46 pm
So based on what I've read, the MKV files are containers for the DVD native format, which is MPEG2.
This is true for many DVD rips, but MKV files can store more than just MPEG-2 video.
Is there any way to do a 1:1 conversion of the MKV files made by MakeMKV into a more standard MPEG2 file? I was hoping to use PLEX with ROKU to remotely view my video library. But it starting to seem like apps that will play these MKV files are few.
MPEG-2 isn't standard for computer files. It's a standard for DVDs. When's the last time you saw a .mp2 file? MPEG-2 video also sucks at compression compared to MP4.

I recommend converting the rips to MP4s using Handbrake if you're having trouble with the MKV container. Assuming you're using software from this millennium, they'll read MP4s just fine.
basdf

Re: Windows doesn't display thumbnail after DVD Rip

Post by basdf »

hintauh wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:27 pm
Hello. I ripped a DVD today, and I saw that the file doesn't have any thumbnail. I have movies which have thumbnail, but not the one I ripped with MakeMKV, how can I make Windows add a random thumbnail from the movie?
Like Woodstock said, Windows doesn't play well with MKV files.

You can use Handbrake to convert the MKV into an MP4 file (with lots of customization) or you can rely on filenames/file organization to find what you're looking for if you don't want to go through the conversion.
hintauh

Post by hintauh »

I am sorry to reopen this old topic, but I found a solution. This may not be the easiest one, but it works.

First, convert the MKV file to MP4 (H.264 codec) using Handbrake (without audio and subtitiles, only the video). Then, remux the MKV file with the video of the MP4 file using MkvToolNix. And it should do it, you should have a thumbnail on your file.
Ezatoka

Post by Ezatoka »

Installing something like K-Lite Codec Pack with the Thumbnail Provider it has for basically all video files sound like an easier solution.