Error 'Posix error - File name too long'

MKV playback, recompression, remuxing, codec packs, players, howtos, etc.
Harmonium

Error 'Posix error - File name too long'

Post by Harmonium »

Hi,

I try to copy Guardian's of the Galaxy 2 4K UHD and I keep having this error: Error 'Posix error - File name too long' occurred while creating '/Volumes/XXX/XXXXX/backup/GUARDIANS_OF_THE_GALAXY_VOL_2/BDMV/JAR/00001/Generics_Composite1_BT2020_HDR.png' It happens at the beginning and the backup fails.

Has anyone seen that?

I'm using an iMac with the latest version of MacOS and makeMKV
Woodstock

Re: Error 'Posix error - File name too long'

Post by Woodstock »

A quick search on Google comes up with a "255 UTF-encoded characters" maximum for the file names on current MacOS versions.

How long is the file name, with the redacted portions? Is the mounted volume in HPFS format, or something else?
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
kweenie

Post by kweenie »

I am not using a mac, but under Windows that character limitation is for the full path, including the filename.

Can imagine that the same rules apply to the mac due to compatibility or otherwise.

Just try to shorten the filename or save file first to lets say a MAKEMKV folder on your desktop (shortening the path part) and copy it to the final location afterwards.
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

The example given is 106 characters. I doubt the redacted portions are long enough to make the whole thing more than 255 characters. Most likely, there's a permissions problem on the volume which is bubbling up with the posix error.

Try to make the backup on your iMac's internal drive or some other volume and see what happens.
Harmonium

Post by Harmonium »

dcoke22 wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:07 pm
The example given is 106 characters. I doubt the redacted portions are long enough to make the whole thing more than 255 characters. Most likely, there's a permissions problem on the volume which is bubbling up with the posix error.

Try to make the backup on your iMac's internal drive or some other volume and see what happens.
It is working on my iMac's internal drive. When I try to copy the backup on my NAS I have an error! What is the solution?
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

What NAS are you using? Some impose other file name limits, but MOST should handle 255 characters, if they are Linux-based.
Harmonium

Post by Harmonium »

Woodstock wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 1:15 pm
What NAS are you using? Some impose other file name limits, but MOST should handle 255 characters, if they are Linux-based.
Hmmmm! I rebooted my NAS and it seems to work now!
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Harmonium wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 2:32 pm
Hmmmm! I rebooted my NAS and it seems to work now!
Oh, it's a Windows NAS. That explains things.

:)