Multi-Channel PCM mkv not playing audio in 7mc?

MKV playback, recompression, remuxing, codec packs, players, howtos, etc.
BigADevry

Multi-Channel PCM mkv not playing audio in 7mc?

Post by BigADevry »

I have almost everything completely perfect on my setup thanks to MakeMKV! Instead of ripping Blu-ray ISOs, I now use Make MKV to get just the movie and desired lossless audio. I love this program! The one thing I did find is that movies like Harry Potter which are in PCM 5.1 will play but without the audio. I am using the Shark007 codec pack which allows me to play DTS-HD MA, Dolby TrueHD, and all other audio formats except multi-Channel PCM. I am not sure if it is a setting or something else. I configured everything in Shark007 to RAW= "all supported" and enabled LPCM. Does anyone else using similar specs have theirs working?

Current HTPC config:
LUXA2 Aluminum LM300 Pro HTPC Case (Black/Silver)
Corsair CMPSU-750TX 750-Watt Power Supply
Intel Core i7 860 Processor 2.80 GHz 8 MB LGA1156
Gigabyte ATX Motherboard GA-P55A-UD3P
Corsair Hydro Series H50 CPU Cooler
Corsair XMS3 8 GB PC3-12800 1600Mhz Dual Channel DDR3 Memory Kit
Crucial Real C300 CTFDDAC128MAG-1G1 2.5" 128GB SATA III (SSD)[OS]
2x Western Digital 2 TB Caviar Green SATA 64 MB Cache Hard Drives [Data]
XFX RADEON HD 5850 1 GB DDR5 PCI Express Graphics Card
Ceton InfiniTV 4 Tuner Card
Pioneer BDR-205BKS Blu-ray Burner
AZiO AWD102N IEEE 802.11b/g, IEEE 802.11n Draft 2.0 PCI Wireless Adapter

Software:
Windows 7 Ultimate Edition x64
TotalMedia Theatre 5 (current version)
Media Center Master (current version)
Media Browser [Recorded TV] (current version)
Slysoft Virtual CloneDrive (current version)
Slysoft AnyDVD HD (current version)
Shark007 Codec Package (current version)
Media Center Studio (menu customization)
MakeMKV (current version)
BigADevry

Re: Multi-Channel PCM mkv not playing audio in 7mc?

Post by BigADevry »

Bump! Anyone else have this issue?
skittle

Post by skittle »

are you trying to bitsream to a reciever? or it just wont playback multichannel pcm? in anycase, its a better question to ask over at shark007 forum if they have one...
BigADevry

Post by BigADevry »

Yes, I am sending the lossless audio stream via HDMI 1.3 to my Onkyo reciever. Has anyone else used MakeMKV to create a mkv from a Blu-ray that has PCM audio? If so how do you play it back?
BigADevry

Post by BigADevry »

Is anyone able to convert say House of Flying Daggers with the main audio being the multi-channel LPCM and play it back using Shark007 codecs, WMP12 x64 or 32, and get full multi-channel PCM sent to their reciever for decoding and playing?
tms433

Post by tms433 »

I've got to admit, this is driving me nuts. When I try to play say LPCM out of an MKV, let's say Eyes Wide Shut, I get:

Audio: WAVE_FORMAT_EXTENSIBLE 48000Hz 6ch 4608kbps

AM_MEDIA_TYPE:
majortype: MEDIATYPE_Audio {73647561-0000-0010-8000-00AA00389B71}
subtype: Unknown GUID Name {0000FFFE-0000-0010-8000-00AA00389B71}
formattype: FORMAT_WaveFormatEx {05589F81-C356-11CE-BF01-00AA0055595A}
bFixedSizeSamples: 0
bTemporalCompression: 0
lSampleSize: 1
cbFormat: 40

And MPC dies. Have the latest FFDShow installed, I have EVERY codec enabled, and under uncompressed have "all supported"

Nothing can seem to figure out what this is. EAC3TO, if I attempt to convert it to FLAC, bombs and says "UNKNOWN" or something similar with that big gong horn thing.
setarip_old

Post by setarip_old »

@tms433

Hi!

Nothing in your post makes reference to MakeMKV - and, if that's the case, there's no reason for you to have posted to this forum...

tms433

Post by tms433 »

Actualy, yes, there is. The MKV was created with MakeMKV. What I'm wondering, based on prior usage of LPCM BD, using AnyDVDHD that succeeded, is whether or not MakeMKV is writing the proper identifying code into the MKV that flags it correctly, as everything sees it as "unidentified"

More then that, this forum specifically says "processing and playback" I certainly wouldn't post it in any of the other forums, as there it would be off topic. But as far as using the product produced by MKV, it is relevent here, and other posters also seem to be of the same mindset ;)
BigADevry

Post by BigADevry »

I agree tms433.
setarip_old

Post by setarip_old »

The MKV was created with MakeMKV.
Now that you've clarified and stated that you're referring specifically to an .MKV you made using MakeMKV and not just .MKVs you've made in general, I'd ask you:

1) Have you also made an .MKV of "Eyes Wide Shut" using something other than MakeMKV?
2) If so, what software and procedures did you use?
3) Did this other-than-MakeMKV .MKV play back properly, using the same version of MPC?
4) Have you tried making an .MKV using your original, commercial Blu-ray disc as the DIRECT source for input into MakeMKV (with NO other programs, such as AnyDVDHD, DVDFab Passkey, etc., running)?

Icanseestars

Post by Icanseestars »

I can back up what the others are saying I came across one Blu-ray (Apocalypto I believe it was) and you can successfully rip the disc with the original LPCM track from the disc (no TrueHD or DTS-MA on disc) but the file will not play in any media player I used (MPC-HC, Potplayer, XBMC, VLC) and I tried converting it to flac but eac3to could not read the audio track.

I ended up ripping the disc again and just taking the standard Dolby AC3 track that was on the disc. I just assumed it's a media player issue and has nothing to do with MakeMKV.
ns-01-al

Post by ns-01-al »

To get playback of AC3 or other 5.1 soundtracks through your receiver you need make sure that you've enabled passthru audio support. For me, using the Sharky codecs I do the following after installing:

1. Run the 32-admin tool (in administrator mode) and tell it to use the Shark preferred setting.
2. Go to the audio tab and make sure that the "use pass--through (digital audio) radio button is set
3. Repeat these steps with the 64-bit admin tool

After that you should be able to get the audio track passed through to the HDMI interface without the PC doing any messing around.
setarip_old

Post by setarip_old »

See the response by "mike admin" at:

http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic ... 656#p10656