Bluray Ripping Issue

MKV playback, recompression, remuxing, codec packs, players, howtos, etc.
discthrower

Bluray Ripping Issue

Post by discthrower »

First off, a huge thank you to the developers and this whole community. I'm just getting into using MakeMKV to rip my DVD and Bluray collection for use on Plex and have learned so much from my short time here already. I'm looking forward to having my physical collection of movies/shows available digitally and MakeMKV is a key piece to making this possible.

Unfortunately, I've not been able to find anyone else with the same issue I'm experiencing. While I've been able to rip 200+ DVDs with success, I did not have a drive capable of reading a Bluray disc (much less rip one) until recently. I've now got the ASUS BW-16D1HT. It came with the 3.10 firmware which I've patched using the tools here.

In beginning to rip my Bluray collection, I find that while the discs appear to rip successfully (Mission Impossible, Mission Impossible: Fallout, and Big Hero 6 - all 1080p), playback of the resulting MKV files stops and does not resume after between 10-20 seconds of playtime. I find this same thing happens when I try to run the files through Handbrake. That encode appears to complete successfully, but only actually encodes the first 10-20 seconds worth of the movie. During playback of the MKV file, I can skip ahead in the movie but it eventually stops and cannot be resumed. This seems to happen at the same time in playback, each time I try (for example, I skipped forward in Big Hero 6 and it consistently stops at 28:47). VLC needs to be shut down and re-opened each time.

To eliminate the drive as the sole source, I went back and re-ripped a DVD that I had previously ripped on my old drive (LITE-ON DVDRW LH-20A1L). It completed successfully with no playback issues in the resulting MKV file or the subsequent MP4 after running through Handbrake so the issue appears to be limited to Bluray discs and not the drive exclusively. What I haven't been able to identify, and could use some help, is if the Bluray ripping issues are related to MakeMKV, my system more broadly, or my lack of familiarity of the tools/process (aka operator error).

Lastly, the issue is consistent before and after I flashed the new firmware. I assumed the issue was the firmware to start, but it has persisted after updating to 3.10MK.

My suspicions/questions:
  • While my media storage drive where the MKV and MP4 files are saved has plenty of space, the OS drive (and MakeMKV install location) are on a 128GB SSD with only ~6GB of free space. Could this be a limiting factor during ripping?
  • My computer build is a bit dated at this point. Core i5 7600K CPU @ 3.8GHz, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 graphics card, 16GB RAM (Windows 10). Is the error not related to MakeMKV at all and simply a playback issue where my system isn't able to handle the large file? (perhaps combined with the storage limit noted previously?)
  • Is there something I'm missing in ripping a Bluray that is fundamentally different than ripping a DVD?
  • Is my sample size just too small and there are known issues with these movies? I just happened to get lucky and pick 3 bad ones to start with?
Here is the log from Big Hero 6 as an example.

Code: Select all

Using LibreDrive mode (v06.2 id=0FA242DD4D0B)
Using direct disc access mode
Loaded content hash table, will verify integrity of M2TS files.
File 00810.mpls was added as title #0
File 00307.mpls was added as title #1
Title #00150.mpls has length of 20 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #00151.mpls has length of 20 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #00160.mpls has length of 10 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #00161.mpls has length of 10 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #00020.mpls has length of 33 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
File 00805.mpls was added as title #2
Title #00050.mpls has length of 0 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #00051.mpls has length of 0 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #00052.mpls has length of 0 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #00070.mpls has length of 5 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #00071.mpls has length of 10 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #00072.mpls has length of 10 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #00080.mpls has length of 5 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #00081.mpls has length of 5 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #00060.mpls has length of 8 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #00061.mpls has length of 8 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #00062.mpls has length of 8 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
File 00800.mpls was added as title #3
File 00802.mpls was added as title #4
File 00801.mpls was added as title #5
File 00310.mpls was added as title #6
File 00301.mpls was added as title #7
File 00302.mpls was added as title #8
File 00303.mpls was added as title #9
Title 00304.mpls is equal to title 00301.mpls and was skipped
Title #00021.mpls has length of 33 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #00006.m2ts has length of 13 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #00002.m2ts has length of 30 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #00001.m2ts has length of 0 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #00003.m2ts has length of 0 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #00004.m2ts has length of 0 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #00005.m2ts has length of 0 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #00029.m2ts has length of 33 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #00007.m2ts has length of 0 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #00135.m2ts has length of 0 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #00136.m2ts has length of 0 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #00137.m2ts has length of 0 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #00139.m2ts has length of 8 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #00140.m2ts has length of 8 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #00141.m2ts has length of 8 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #00143.m2ts has length of 5 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #00144.m2ts has length of 5 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #00145.m2ts has length of 5 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #00147.m2ts has length of 5 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #00148.m2ts has length of 5 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #00149.m2ts has length of 5 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #00150.m2ts has length of 5 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #00302.m2ts has length of 40 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #00303.m2ts has length of 20 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #00306.m2ts has length of 15 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
File 00307.m2ts was added as title #10
Title #00308.m2ts has length of 17 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
File 00309.m2ts was added as title #11
Title #00310.m2ts has length of 15 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #00311.m2ts has length of 17 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #00312.m2ts has length of 17 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #00314.m2ts has length of 20 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #00315.m2ts has length of 20 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #00316.m2ts has length of 21 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
File 00317.m2ts was added as title #12
File 00318.m2ts was added as title #13
Title #00319.m2ts has length of 18 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
File 00320.m2ts was added as title #14
File 00321.m2ts was added as title #15
File 00322.m2ts was added as title #16
Title #00323.m2ts has length of 101 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #00324.m2ts has length of 72 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #00325.m2ts has length of 21 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
File 00326.m2ts was added as title #17
Title #00327.m2ts has length of 21 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #00328.m2ts has length of 21 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #00329.m2ts has length of 10 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #00330.m2ts has length of 10 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #00331.m2ts has length of 33 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #00332.m2ts has length of 102 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #00333.m2ts has length of 79 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #00334.m2ts has length of 91 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #00335.m2ts has length of 32 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #00336.m2ts has length of 32 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
File 00337.m2ts was added as title #18
Title 00805.mpls is equal to title 00800.mpls and was skipped
Operation successfully completed
Saving 1 titles into directory D:/MakeMKV/Big Hero 6
AV synchronization issues were found in file 'Big Hero 6_t02.mkv' (title #3)
Forced subtitles track #7 turned out to be empty and was removed from output file
Forced subtitles track #9 turned out to be empty and was removed from output file
Forced subtitles track #11 turned out to be empty and was removed from output file
Forced subtitles track #13 turned out to be empty and was removed from output file
Forced subtitles track #15 turned out to be empty and was removed from output file
1 titles saved
Any advice for what I can do to troubleshoot my issue or guide my next steps is appreciated.
preserve

Re: Bluray Ripping Issue

Post by preserve »

Try using something else besides VLC. For example, https://mpv.io/ is one that I’d recommend.
Using: ASUS BW-16D1HT 3.00
discthrower

Post by discthrower »

preserve wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 4:13 am
Try using something else besides VLC. For example, https://mpv.io/ is one that I’d recommend.
I'll give this a shot in the morning. Would this also explain the Handbrake issue where it only encodes a small portion? It's this detail that makes me think the issue is with the rip.
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

I prefer MPV over VLC, but generally it should work fine in either. MPV is worth trying, however.

Which version of MakeMKV are you using? 1.15.4 is the latest version.

There's an open source program called MediaInfo (https://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo) that'll tell you a lot of details about media files, like MKV files. Be sure to have the latest version: 20.09. For instance, my rip of Mission Impossible: Fallout is a 35.1 GiB file, of which 27 GiB is the video stream. The TrueHD audio is another 5.1 GiB. VLC plays the first 4 minutes of my MI:6 rip without problems.

There's been some discussion of TrueHD audio being problematic for some people and some playback setups. I don't think Mission Impossible or Big Hero 6 have TrueHD audio tracks, however. I don't think that would be your problem.

Is your media storage drive capable of sustaining the throughput required to play a blu-ray rip? How is it connected?
discthrower

Post by discthrower »

dcoke22 wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 6:41 am
Which version of MakeMKV are you using? 1.15.4 is the latest version.

There's an open source program called MediaInfo (https://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo) that'll tell you a lot of details about media files, like MKV files. Be sure to have the latest version: 20.09. For instance, my rip of Mission Impossible: Fallout is a 35.1 GiB file, of which 27 GiB is the video stream. The TrueHD audio is another 5.1 GiB. VLC plays the first 4 minutes of my MI:6 rip without problems.

Is your media storage drive capable of sustaining the throughput required to play a blu-ray rip? How is it connected?
I am on MakeMKV 1.15.3 - will upgrade and re-try the rip.

MediaInfo - I downloaded latest version (20.09). My rip of MI:Fallout is 37.8 GB. It has 10 audio streams and 21 text streams. (I left all of the audio streams and subtitle streams during the rip.) Overall bitrate 36 MB/s. Max video bitrate: 28 MB/s. Any additional information I should tune into in looking for red flags?

The media storage drive is an older drive but still SATA 300 ~3.0 GB/s. The Bluray drive is also connected via SATA. Both are connected to 6.0 GB/s ports on the MB (ASUS Z270-AR). When I redo the rip, I'll rip to a different drive that is a little newer and SATA 6 (6GB/s) to try to eliminate the drive as the source of the issues.
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

That MediaInfo data is roughly what I'd expect for a blu-ray rip. Assuming the MakeMKV log during the rip didn't show errors, I expect it is a correct and well formed file. The log you posted for Big Hero 6 looked fine to me.

That your media storage is direct connected is good. Sometimes people store things on a old NAS connected via dodgy wifi and that rarely works well. I presume your VLC is up-to-date; 3.0.11?

For testing purposes, do you have another computer you can copy a MKV file to and attempt to play with VLC and/or MPV?
jinx100

Post by jinx100 »

View Computer Manage/Performance to check disk idle time and queue length to verify you are not using that last 6G on your system drive.
discthrower

Post by discthrower »

dcoke22 wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 7:39 pm
That MediaInfo data is roughly what I'd expect for a blu-ray rip. Assuming the MakeMKV log during the rip didn't show errors, I expect it is a correct and well formed file. The log you posted for Big Hero 6 looked fine to me.

That your media storage is direct connected is good. Sometimes people store things on a old NAS connected via dodgy wifi and that rarely works well. I presume your VLC is up-to-date; 3.0.11?

For testing purposes, do you have another computer you can copy a MKV file to and attempt to play with VLC and/or MPV?
So after updating to MakeMVK v1.15.4, and ripping to a new drive (one with even more space but, accidentally, same age), rips of Mission Impossible and Big Hero 6 appear to have worked successfully. I've also been able to encode them through Handbrake successfully to MP4 and they play on Plex with no apparent issues.

So the issue was either the older version of MakeMKV, or the available space on the media drive (was 80GB, new drive has 200+GB available). I might try ripping one of these back to the original drive just to see if the issue returns with the new version of MakeMKV to isolate it to the drive or MakeMKV.

Thank you all for the tips!
Samazar

Post by Samazar »

This is a very interesting and informative thread.

I intend to do the same, need to digitise all my blu-ray content (both 1080p and 4K) so that it sits on a big hard drive in my entertainment room. I presume the latest version of Make MKV is capable of producing 1:1 copies regardless of file size, is that correct? - don't need the menus, playback should start immediately when selected.

I have the NVIDIA Shield and quite like KODI for its reliable playback and the ability to send bit-stream data to an external processor that handles the audio as well as the video.

What players do you recommend?

A nice Kaleidescape like interface and the ability to easily categorise content would be awesome.