MKV File Subtile LG OLED G2

MKV playback, recompression, remuxing, codec packs, players, howtos, etc.
xNashy

MKV File Subtile LG OLED G2

Post by xNashy »

Hey im completly new to this all but i need you help :(

since 2 days i have some mkv files with dts audio. I figured out to convert the dts to ac3 audio to play it on my lg tv oled g2.

It does have 2 audio tracks and 2 subtitle tracks. I export the correct subtitle with mkvextract gui and get a .sub fle.

Now with mkvtoolnix i got a file with the video, the ac3 sound file and the .sub file. If i play it with vlc media player everything is perfect. Just the audio track that i wanted and also the sub track incluced from begin.

But if i put it on my external drive and plug it into my tv via usb. Everything works but no subtitles. And also the subtitles button is greyed out. I dont know why and i searched so long for it but everyone says via usb and mkvtoolnix its working but not for me :(

edit: i found out its because the subtitle from the blu ray. If i convert it to srt or sub it doesnt work. If i use some other subtitles from another show or movie its working. How can i export this subtitles from the blu ray mkv correctly?

sorry for my bad english
Chetwood

Re: MKV File Subtile LG OLED G2

Post by Chetwood »

Blu-rays come with PGS/SUP subtitles which are bitmap based. If your LG does not support those you need to OCR to srt with Subtitle Edit. With the file name similar to the mkv, your LG should play it. If it does you can mux the SRT into it with MKVToolnix.
MultiMakeMKV: MakeMKV batch processing (Win)
MultiShrink: DVD Shrink batch processing
Offizieller Uebersetzer von DVD Shrink deutsch
xNashy

Post by xNashy »

I tried Subtitle Edit to make a srt from the pgs but its a show with almost 100 episodes with 20 minutes per Episode and i have to do itall manual because the program didnt recognize the words correct. Is there another option?
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

I sometimes use an online service like https://subtitletools.com

I use the MKVToolNix tools to extract the subtitle track I'm interested in converting to .srt, then upload it to the service, then wait for it to complete. It is not the fastest way to do a high volume of conversions, but I only rarely need to do this.
xNashy

Post by xNashy »

Thanks but its not working because if i export the subtitles with mkvtoolnix or mkvextractgui th webiste doesnt see a text in the sub or srt file because originally it was a pgs file and this is a picture format.
Chetwood

Post by Chetwood »

xNashy wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2023 10:31 pm
Is there another option?
I personally use SubExtractor which works best in such cases. Rename all files to a scheme like this:

my.tv.series.s01e01.sup
my.tv.series.s01e02.sup
my.tv.series.s01e03.sup etc.

then go to file > open file > browse, select ALL episodes and click on 'next step'. The tool will ask you to identify the letter it has selected by pressing the corresponding key on the keyboard. Once you've done this for ALL letters that particular subtitle file contains, it will be a breeze to rush through the other episodes which use a similar font.
MultiMakeMKV: MakeMKV batch processing (Win)
MultiShrink: DVD Shrink batch processing
Offizieller Uebersetzer von DVD Shrink deutsch