So now what? Purchased flashed Pioneer BD, Purchased MakeMKV, so how to convert and playback?

MKV playback, recompression, remuxing, codec packs, players, howtos, etc.
Low Winter Sun

Re: So now what? Purchased flashed Pioneer BD, Purchased MakeMKV, so how to convert and playback?

Post by Low Winter Sun »

That looks like a nice rig. I've been thinking about what I might do when it's time to upgrade my 10 year old Unraid Server. Can you give us a list of the parts you used?

Thanks!

LWS
Low Winter Sun

Re: So now what? Purchased flashed Pioneer BD, Purchased MakeMKV, so how to convert and playback?

Post by Low Winter Sun »

Thanks so much!

You may want to consider adding a second parity drive option for your Unraid. That will allow up to two drive failures before any data loss occurs. Oftentimes the stress of rebuilding from a lost drive can cause another drive to fail.
RobAinscough wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2024 8:46 pm
My parts list:

(large list, no need to duplicate)
RobAinscough

Post by RobAinscough »

Yeah, most likely will do in the future ... right now I need to get a 10G NIC or USB-C to 10G adapter as the motherboard only supports 2.5G ... most of my home network is all 10G except this NAS I built.

Cheers, Rob.
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan
Low Winter Sun

Post by Low Winter Sun »

10G, wow. You must have a need to move a lot of video around. What router are you using?
RobAinscough wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2024 4:23 pm
Yeah, most likely will do in the future ... right now I need to get a 10G NIC or USB-C to 10G adapter as the motherboard only supports 2.5G ... most of my home network is all 10G except this NAS I built.

Cheers, Rob.
RobAinscough

Post by RobAinscough »

If I could do 100G within my budget I would. I'm actually Trunking a couple of 10G ports for 20G between two computers, but the most are 10G.

I'm using Cat 8 cable (don't need optical/fiber since my distances aren't that long) and a few QNAP 10G switches and few 10G NICs and a bunch of 10G SFP to RJ45 Transceivers.

Yes, I do move a lot of video, not just converted DVD/BDs but I do a lot of my own content creation videos and those vary from different camera sources but on Sony's when video is shot in RAW 4K 60 or 8K file sizes 100GB to 1TB per capture. Using several computers that work with DaVinci Resolve/Fusion and a couple of NAS units.

Here is my primary workstation with a few other computers and NAS units in other rooms: Image

Cheers, Rob.
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

I have a lot of MikroTik gear in my network. I've found that most SFP+ -> RJ45 transceivers get pretty hot. The ports where I run fiber run a lot cooler (and draw less power). As such, it is become my preference where possible.
Last edited by dcoke22 on Tue Apr 09, 2024 5:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
RobAinscough

Post by RobAinscough »

Agree, the RJ45 Transceivers do get hot. I'd thought about fiber runs but I have too many tight corners so went with Cat8.