DOlby Vision only shows as HDR and many newbie questions

MKV playback, recompression, remuxing, codec packs, players, howtos, etc.
merrick97

DOlby Vision only shows as HDR and many newbie questions

Post by merrick97 »

I am new to this forum and just started ripping 4K blurays for the purpose of preservation. If there is a FAQ that answers my questions, please direct me to that.

I have decided to start ripping my 4K Blurays for the sole purpose of having a back up in case 4K players no longer become available.

I have no interest in running a network or anything like that. I basically want to hook a USB hard drive to a streaming device that will playback the movies pretty much exactly as though they were being played from the disc with full blown DOlby Vision and Dolby Atmos and DTS-HD MA/DTS:X. Extras are a secondary consideration.

I have ripped a few movies with mixed results. I ripped The Abyss and while the disc supports Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos, I cannot get playback on my Google 4K Chromecast. Running directly off a USB SSD and plugging in directly into My LG C1 OLED, I do get playback, but DV discs only show HDR and Atmos won't playback.

WHat I was trying to do was hook a USB hub to my 4K Google Chromecast and run the movies through that. People have apparently gotten it to work, but I cannot get good playback. Films will not play as I have to go through hoops to get it to load an NTFS formatted as the Chromecast apparently only supports FAT32, which supports only a max file size of 4GB, which aint happening for a 4K film.

As I said earlier, hooking the USB drive directly to my LG C1 OLED TV enables The Abyss to playback, but it will not show as Dolby VIsion and will not recognize the Atmos audio track. I would like to know what it takes to show Dolby Vision.

Through reading it would appear that the Nvidia Shield is the only way to playback truly lossless audio formats. Sigh. I'd consider getting a Shield if they had a more recent model. The current models were last released in 2019 and while I am sure they are fine I feel like those are going end of life fairly soon. If nvidia releases a newer model with an updated processor, I'll consider spending the $200.

Any help on getting DV to show up as the HDR format would be appreciated.
dcoke22

Re: DOlby Vision only shows as HDR and many newbie questions

Post by dcoke22 »

I haven't tried it myself, but a Ugoos AM6B+ with recent builds of CoreElec can supposedly do it all.
merrick97

Post by merrick97 »

Not interested in using streaming. I want to use a box that connects via HDMI. I feel like these boxes should have programs that allow for them to be ripped.
spl147

Post by spl147 »

merrick97 wrote:
Sun May 12, 2024 9:21 pm
Not interested in using streaming. I want to use a box that connects via HDMI. I feel like these boxes should have programs that allow for them to be ripped.
i hate to say it but, you have no idea what you are talking about! the chromecast 4k will NOT do real Dolby Vision! nor does it have a gb ethernet port. so your choice of device is flawed from the start!

if you bothered to look up the Ugoos AM6b+ you would see it is the Best box Available right now for Media Playback using CoreELEC!

you sir need to take a step back and do your homework!
spl147

Post by spl147 »

merrick97 wrote:
Sun May 12, 2024 9:21 pm
Not interested in using streaming.
So what do you think the Chromecast 4K is?
spl147

Post by spl147 »

merrick97 wrote:
Sat May 04, 2024 8:22 pm
I am new to this forum and just started ripping 4K blurays for the purpose of preservation. If there is a FAQ that answers my questions, please direct me to that.

I have decided to start ripping my 4K Blurays for the sole purpose of having a back up in case 4K players no longer become available.

I have no interest in running a network or anything like that. I basically want to hook a USB hard drive to a streaming device that will playback the movies pretty much exactly as though they were being played from the disc with full blown DOlby Vision and Dolby Atmos and DTS-HD MA/DTS:X. Extras are a secondary consideration.

I have ripped a few movies with mixed results. I ripped The Abyss and while the disc supports Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos, I cannot get playback on my Google 4K Chromecast. Running directly off a USB SSD and plugging in directly into My LG C1 OLED, I do get playback, but DV discs only show HDR and Atmos won't playback.

WHat I was trying to do was hook a USB hub to my 4K Google Chromecast and run the movies through that. People have apparently gotten it to work, but I cannot get good playback. Films will not play as I have to go through hoops to get it to load an NTFS formatted as the Chromecast apparently only supports FAT32, which supports only a max file size of 4GB, which aint happening for a 4K film.

As I said earlier, hooking the USB drive directly to my LG C1 OLED TV enables The Abyss to playback, but it will not show as Dolby VIsion and will not recognize the Atmos audio track. I would like to know what it takes to show Dolby Vision.

Through reading it would appear that the Nvidia Shield is the only way to playback truly lossless audio formats. Sigh. I'd consider getting a Shield if they had a more recent model. The current models were last released in 2019 and while I am sure they are fine I feel like those are going end of life fairly soon. If nvidia releases a newer model with an updated processor, I'll consider spending the $200.

Answer: It's called the search feature
Answer: Thats never gonna happen
Answer: You will need a NAS on the network if you want to collect 4K movies! unless you want a bunch of HDD's laying around. Ugoos AM6B+ is the device you need! CoreELEC forum has the answers you seek.
Answer: Chromecast 4K Will NOT work! LG C1 does not support DV in MKV not does it support lossless Audio passthrough. ALL these answers are on this forum with a search!
Answer: Again the Chromecast 4K is Crap!
Answer: A real Playback device (Ugoos AMBb+ running CoreELEC)
Answer: The ShieldTV also Does NOT do true Dolby Vision!

Answer: that statement makes no sense!