mkvpropedit 4.8.0 can't handle files from makemkv 1.6.10

MKV playback, recompression, remuxing, codec packs, players, howtos, etc.
Mnemos

mkvpropedit 4.8.0 can't handle files from makemkv 1.6.10

Post by Mnemos »

I don't know if this a problem with mkvpropedit or makemkv, but if I use mkvpropedit 4.8.0 to edit tracks in an mkv generated by makemkv 1.6.10, then the track information is stripped from the file.So, either mkvpropedit is broken, or makemkv is creating mkv files which are faulty in some manner and mkvpropedit chokes on them. If I do the same with a file generated by mmg, then it works just fine, so that would imply that it's makemkv issue, but I don't know.

Here's the bug report that I submitted on mkvpropedit: https://www.bunkus.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=640

But one or both programs is faulty and needs to be fixed.
Mnemos

Re: mkvpropedit 4.8.0 can't handle files from makemkv 1.6.10

Post by Mnemos »

Well, it looks like both mkvpropedit and makemkv are working correctly. Rather, it's mediainfo and mencoder which aren't. They're unable to deal with header info which gets put at the end of the file. I don't know why this wasn't a problem before (maybe makemkv changed how it dealt with some of the header info and it used to be that it was doing things in a way that didn't force mkvpropedit to put info at the end of the file when editing track info), but apparently makemkv and mkvpropedit are fine. I guess that I'll have to figure out how to post bug reports to mencoder and mediainfo then. Why can't they just be properly spec compliant... :(