Question about playback with subtitles

MKV playback, recompression, remuxing, codec packs, players, howtos, etc.
jelockwood

Question about playback with subtitles

Post by jelockwood »

I am using MakeMKV on a Mac (currently version 1.6.10). I notice that MakeMKV auto selects my preferred language (of English) for selecting audio and subtitle tracks for ripping which is fine. I also notice that for playback of the resulting MKV file it has enabled playback of the first (English) audio track and first (English) subtitle track. This is when ripping from a DVD and therefore means the subtitles are VOBSUB format.

My query is about playback of the resulting MKV file. I obviously want it to only play back a single audio track and the first (English in this case) track is a logical choice. However normally I would not want subtitles to be played. Normally I would only want subtitles to be shown if I specifically turn them on, or possibly if the player is clever enough, when the sound is muted. As things stand, files produced by MakeMKV 1.6.10 always have the first subtitle track enabled for playback which means players will always show the subtitles. Would instead MakeMKV leaving all subtitle tracks disabled as standard be a better default behaviour?

Note: This is about playback, I am not talking about disabling the import of all subtitle tracks.
Icanseestars

Re: Question about playback with subtitles

Post by Icanseestars »

Why don't you just remove subtitles when ripping it's a simple right click to bring up the context menu and choose unselect all.
jelockwood

Post by jelockwood »

Icanseestars wrote:Why don't you just remove subtitles when ripping it's a simple right click to bring up the context menu and choose unselect all.
If I never wanted subtitles I agree that would be an option, however sometimes I might, either because someone with a hearing problem is visiting and watching, or as I mentioned in my post, if I was muting the sound I could read the subtitles then.

It is perfectly possible to in whichever player I am using to turn the subtitles off, I am merely suggesting that for the majoirty of people the majority of the time having the subtitles off would be the desired situation. Therefore this should be the default behaviour of MakeMKV.
alisam

Post by alisam »

I am very new to MakeMKV and at the same time I was trying Handbrake.
After trying to convert several .iso files, I couldn't understand why I had the subtitles with MakeMKV but not with Handbrake.
All sorted now (and I prefer MakeMKV due to its speed), but a Preference would be good
anotheruser

Post by anotheruser »

Just to say I am after this too.
I want to rip the subtitles but have them turned off by default, rather than ON.

Also being discussed here