Create chapter marks for jumping ahead?

MKV playback, recompression, remuxing, codec packs, players, howtos, etc.
boe_d

Create chapter marks for jumping ahead?

Post by boe_d »

Hello,

I download TV shows which are a single MKV file per episode and it seems that they have chapter marks (probably where the commercials were) so I can jump ahead several minutes. I just did my first attempt to put one of my DVDs on my computer for streaming using Make MKV 1.71. It was incredibly easy but I didn't have any breaks in the playback so I could jump from scene to scene quickly. Is there a way to have it automatically transfer the chapter markers from the original DVD? If not is there a way to create indexes at automatic segments - e.g. every 5 minutes so it is easy to hop through a longer MKV file?
Smithcraft

Re: Create chapter marks for jumping ahead?

Post by Smithcraft »

It does copy the chapters from the media into the file. You can check the files with MediaInfo to make sure.

SC
boe_d

Post by boe_d »

Thanks. It appears to have chapters if I'm using media info properly however my oppo93 does not seem to recognize them and yet the tv shows I download have chapters that my BR player does recognize. Any suggestions on what I need to change in the settings of makemkv? The >| button on my windows program also does not seem to be able to jump chapters.
boe_d

Post by boe_d »

I just tried handbrake and it does create chapters that work with my BR player after I created a single MKV file. I would prefer makemkv if it made the chapters that function on my Oppo 93 BR player but handbrake seems to do what I need until they add this to MakeMKV
Last edited by boe_d on Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
robpdotcom

Post by robpdotcom »

MakeMKV does create chapters - apparently your player just doesn't recognize them.
boe_d

Post by boe_d »

robpdotcom wrote:MakeMKV does create chapters - apparently your player just doesn't recognize them.
There are other threads about this same issue. It may create chapters but for some reason the MKVs I download from the web have chapters I can use and the MKVs I create using the exact same source material (DVD and BR) with handbrake are able to jump chapters when I create a single MKV.

I would be happy to change my makemkv preferences so the chapters are recognized by my player (and other players) but I cannot find the settings to adjust that. If someone knows any settings I can change to make the chapters more functional for the Oppo player, please let me know.

Thanks