Newbie Subtitle Question

MKV playback, recompression, remuxing, codec packs, players, howtos, etc.
Beryl

Newbie Subtitle Question

Post by Beryl »

(I searched and didn't see anything that applied to regular DVDs)

I have a Chinese film with English subtitles. The DVD plays fine with subtitles but when using MKV, I was only able to create a file without subtitles and perfect audio or English subtitles and NO audio. The former used all defaults and the latter was created by setting my Interface and Preferred language to English.

What do I need to do to get the English subtitles and audio?

(I'm new to all of this so will you please explain in simple terms?)
Smithcraft

Re: Newbie Subtitle Question

Post by Smithcraft »

I have no iDea. How about a screen shot of what MakeMKV is showing for selection?

SC
Beryl

Post by Beryl »

Smithcraft wrote:I have no iDea. How about a screen shot of what MakeMKV is showing for selection?

SC
Went back and looked at the original MakeMKV creation using all of the defaults and the subtitles show once selected from VLC (3rd subtrack). Sorry I didn't thoroughly check before.

This is how things were set when I got English subtitles but NO sound. Maybe you can help me to see why it happened. I didn't see anywhere in the help section what these settings mean. I searched on "language" and "subtitles" and only see information for BluRay disks.

Another question: Is a manual available for registered users?
Attachments
MakeMKV.jpg
MakeMKV.jpg (38.5 KiB) Viewed 8184 times
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Set your "Preferred language" to None. MakeMKV should then automatically select all audio tracks available.

You can then either deselect the ones you don't want before ripping, or process the file with a tool like Handbrake and select the language tracks you want, while compressing the file with a better algorithm than used on DVDs.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging