MKV separate forced & full subtitles

MKV playback, recompression, remuxing, codec packs, players, howtos, etc.
ryan99

MKV separate forced & full subtitles

Post by ryan99 »

Hi, Apologies if this has been answered before.

But whenever I encode a movie using makemkv I select both subtitle tracks as such:

However I end up with only one 1 subtitle track. I believe makemkv is merging the two.

Is it possible to have a 2 subtitle tracks: one for forced only & the other for all subtitles?

Note I have read: http://www.makemkv.com/faq/item/10 which doesn't clarify what's going wrong

Thanks,
Ryan
Romansh

Re: MKV separate forced & full subtitles

Post by Romansh »

ryan99 wrote:I believe makemkv is merging the two.
You are wrong :P

The "forced" subtitle track is the same as the full track, except when creating it MakeMKV discards subtitle packets that are not flagged as forced. At the end, the "forced" subtitle track is removed if it's empty (no subtitle packets in it).
austingrd

Post by austingrd »

Thanks. And additionally, is there an option for forced subtitles not to be tagged as forced? I'm just wondering if this is possible since I cannot find any option.
Mistakes are learning tools. Image
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

MakeMKV doesn't modify things unnecessarily, so there isn't a way within MakeMKV to "un-force" subtitles.

Also, it is common for there to be multiple subtitle tracks for a language, with one being the equivalent of "forced" subtitles, and the other being a full subtitle track. In these cases, MakeMKV will STILL display a "forced only" option for both tracks, but none will be tagged as "forced".
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
angelgraves13

Post by angelgraves13 »

The selected method is the correct way to rip the movie.

If the film does not contain forced subs, then the track will be discarded.
Chetwood

Post by Chetwood »

ryan99 wrote:Note I have read: http://www.makemkv.com/faq/item/10 which doesn't clarify what's going wrong
That's because it's incorrect:
FAQ wrote:Unlike DVD, on Blu-ray, each subtitle item has an attribute that specified whether particular subtitle appearance should be forced.
Apparently there are other ways (like navigational commands) to set a subtitle stream to forced without flagging each item.
MultiMakeMKV: MakeMKV batch processing (Win)
MultiShrink: DVD Shrink batch processing
Offizieller Uebersetzer von DVD Shrink deutsch