Forced Subtitles with Kill Bill Vol 1 & 2

MKV playback, recompression, remuxing, codec packs, players, howtos, etc.
FredTheDog

Forced Subtitles with Kill Bill Vol 1 & 2

Post by FredTheDog »

Hi,

I am having problems getting forced subs to work with both these films. I read somewhere about using MKVToolNix to edit the attributes on the subtitle streams which worked for vol 2 but is not working for vol 1. I am using VLC on a mac and have a Dune Smart H1 player with forced sub patch loaded, here is the advice I followed:

Using the Header Editor in MKVToolNix open the file and find the subtitle stream that contains the forced subtitles. Edit the Default flag and the Forced Subtitle flag and set both to "YES" and save the file. So as I say this worked great for Vol 2 but seems to have made no difference to Vol 1. While I can turn on the subs I need on the player itself when I watch the film it would be great to have these automatically show like other forced subs on other films.

Any ideas?

Thanks
paulster

Re: Forced Subtitles with Kill Bill Vol 1 & 2

Post by paulster »

If I recall correctly these had a non-standard palette, i.e. the transparent colour wasn't palette code 0.

What I've done with these movies is to extract the subs with eac3to and then load them into bpsup2sub. Set the output format to PGS so you're converting from PGS to PGS and export the subs again. Then I could use mkvtoolnix to merge them back in and they behaved properly.
FredTheDog

Re: Forced Subtitles with Kill Bill Vol 1 & 2

Post by FredTheDog »

Thanks Paulster, figured it out....a custom file on my player that recognises the 'Forced flag' and turns on the subtitle stream wasn't installed correctly.....reinstalled and now all working