MKV playback problem-2 different blu ray players

MKV playback, recompression, remuxing, codec packs, players, howtos, etc.
dmdbur

MKV playback problem-2 different blu ray players

Post by dmdbur »

I have tried playing back a few different movies ripped to MKV on two different blu ray players (Sony BDP-S5100 and Panasonic DMP-BDT230). On the Sony , while watching a movie, it will lock up the blu ray player at a random point, and I have to unplug the blu ray player. On the Panasonic the screen will flash black for maybe a second then continue on (audio continues without a hiccup). This will happen at random points, and sometimes can be more continuous, like occuring a few seconds apart. The place in a movie where the Sony locks up is not the same place(s) on the Panasonic. If you play back the movies again on either player, it will stop or "black flash" at the same points. There was only 1 movie in MKV thus far that seemed to have played without any problems. The same movies ripped to M2TS format never have any problems. Also, I played these problematic MKV's on the computer, and they play fine. Is there something wrong with MakeMKV, or something I can do with MakeMKV to avoid this from happening with MKV files?
Woodstock

Re: MKV playback problem-2 different blu ray players

Post by Woodstock »

One possibility is a copy protection method that is ineffective against computers, but will cause problems with Bluray players:

http://makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1846
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
dmdbur

Post by dmdbur »

I ruled out the copy protection by testing running MakeMKV along with utilizing AnyDVD (which have always bypassed any copy protection) and still the same problems with the MKV's. Doesn't make a difference if MakeMKV is running alone, or with another decryption program. Any other suggestions or thoughts?
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

If the MKV files play fine in VLC or similar, but die in the BD players after a while, it is more likely that the players are the problem than the MKV file. Which is why I suggested checking out the Cinavia thread.

Do you have MKVToolnix tools? One test would be to run one of the troublesome MKV files through a "do nothing" re-MUX (no changes to the tracks, just reassembling the MKV file) with mkvmerge.exe, and see if it "fixes" the problem with the players.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging