Post your Conversion times

MKV playback, recompression, remuxing, codec packs, players, howtos, etc.
jrstickles

Post your Conversion times

Post by jrstickles »

I was thinking it would help some folks out if they knew what type of system others had versus what kind of rip times it would do. So, I'll start. I'll list my machine specs (OS, CPU - current clock speed, RAM, and DVD/BD reader/burner. Then my makemkv version I'm currently using, finally my latest movie, final MKV size and time to complete. Here goes!

- Window 7
- Core I-7 (4.87 Ghz)
- 16GB Ram
- LG Super MultiBlue BH16NS40
- Running makemkv paid version 1.8.5 (64-bit)
- Just burned Frozen, track 800, final size 21.335GB in 20:31

Anyway, just thought this would be helpful for anyone who is thinking of buying or building a system with the idea of backing up movies high on their priority list. I certainly don't have the fastest rig out there, so this certainly isn't meant to be a phallic measuring contest. Happy backups all!
Woodstock

Re: Post your Conversion times

Post by Woodstock »

Really, the processor behind the rip is not that much of a factor - it's how fast it can talk to the hard drive and the optical drive.

I have a dual-core Dell from 2006 with an LG BD player and the "stock" Toshiba DVD, and it regularly trips over 14x rip speeds for DVD and 8x for BD, ripping to a network share. The machine the Dell sends its data to has the same LG drive and twice the processing power, but is hard pressed to hit 7x on DVDs, due to the BD drive being attached to a relatively slow SATA controller.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging