Hardware Blu Ray / MKV player suggestions (plays huge mkvs)

MKV playback, recompression, remuxing, codec packs, players, howtos, etc.
RalphHartman

Hardware Blu Ray / MKV player suggestions (plays huge mkvs)

Post by RalphHartman »

I am in the market for a new Blu Ray player as my LG BD 6xx won't play huge .mkv files (30GB+) ripped from blu-ray from MakeMKV (or DVDFab... don't flame me :-) ). Has anyone had any luck with their blu-ray player playing huge .mkv files?

Thanks in advance
Woodstock

Re: Hardware Blu Ray / MKV player suggestions (plays huge mk

Post by Woodstock »

If you aren't actually using it to play BDs, you MIGHT consider using a media player instead. My BD player hasn't been plugged in since around 2011, because every BD goes on to the media server, then into a box.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
RalphHartman

Post by RalphHartman »

My preference is to get an all in one blu ray player that will play the huge mkvs as well so I have the ability to play both. But as a fall back I was thinking about kdlinks hd 720, boxee box WD Live etc.

Suggestions toward blu ray players that play huge mkv files but I am always open to suggestions
MJFieser

Post by MJFieser »

All the current Oppo (http://www.oppodigital.com) Blu-ray players will do what you're asking.

I rip all my Blu-rays with their lossless audio tracks intact (averaging 25GB per MKV file) and my BDP-103 plays them flawlessly... including PGS subtitles. I've yet to find a media file it wouldn't play.

Oppo Blu-ray players are not inexpensive, but you get what you pay for and their Customer Service is second to none.
atc98092

Post by atc98092 »

I use two types of players (3 counting the DLNA built into my TV), the Roku 2 XS and Sony BDP-S3100.

The Roku requires transcoding, because it can't handle a video bitstream much higher than 12Mbps, and most Blu-Ray rips run 25Mbps or higher. It will, however, play a DVD ripped into MKV without transcoding, and sends the DTS or DD audio as a bitstream.

The Sony (and most other Sony Blu-Ray players) plays MKV native, and will pass HD audio as bitstream. I have seen the video bitrate (the Sony has a rate display) over 50Mbps (Dark Knight Returns) without any playback issues.

I will point out one thing, neither of these players will display captions from a Blu-Ray rip. The Roku requires transcoding, which removes the captions from the stream, and the Sony, although it recognizes the captions in the stream and accepts me turning them on, just doesn't show them. MKV rips of DVDs will, however, show the captions.

I have the players hard wired into my Gigabit network, so there's no issue with Wi-Fi keeping up. If you are streaming HD video that hasn't had its bitrate modified (by HandBrake or some such product, or by your server transcoding), then I would stay away from a Wi-Fi connection. BTW, I use Serviio as my video DLNA server. Very adaptable to multiple types of video files, and supports almost any kind of player.
Serviio media server with 18 TB of space. Over 1500 movies and 2000 TV episodes. Samsung JU7100 TV, Sony BDP-S3500, Roku 4, Ultra and two Roku TVs (one 4K) on a gigabit network.
javiergreen76

Post by javiergreen76 »

this player plays mkvs just fine either disk or usb

Sony BDP-S2200 Full HD 1080p Blu-ray Disc Player with Wi-Fi & Netflix Hulu Amazon Prime Streaming Apps