Nero Recode 14 can no longer transcode from v1.9.1

MKV playback, recompression, remuxing, codec packs, players, howtos, etc.
McBlade

Nero Recode 14 can no longer transcode from v1.9.1

Post by McBlade »

After upgrading to 1.9.1, Nero Recode 2014 can no longer transcode the mkv files to .MP4. I posted over on the Nero forum and they asked me to find out what changed between 1.9.0 and 1.9.1. Any help is appreciated.
ndjamena

Re: Nero Recode 14 can no longer transcode from v1.9.1

Post by ndjamena »

Rip one version with 1.9.0 and one with 1.9.1 and then look at the files with MKVInfo (or MKVInfo GUI).
McBlade

Post by McBlade »

My v1.9.0 has expired (which is why I had to upgrade to v1.9.1), so I can't run the mkvinfo tool on the same file from both versions. Would it be any use to look at an older file made with v1.9.0 and a new (different movie) file made with v1.9.1?
ndjamena

Post by ndjamena »

It depends on what the difference is.

I would ask why you don't have the original source but I'll just hope you're ripping an drive full of old DVD/Blu Ray rips you no longer want.

Doesn't the Beta Key let you use old versions? I never went backwards while I was using it so I don't know.

I guess I might get motivated at some point and look at it myself, but it's past midnight here so...
VanNostrum

Post by VanNostrum »

I have a similar problem in that Handbreak can no longer transcode BluRay .mkv to .mp4 since upgrading to 1.9.1.

Additionally, I'm having problems with .mkv playback on my LG via DLNA. The file will initially play, but if the time is advanced, it throws an error "Invalid File". The same error will eventually trip about 20 minutes into playing the file. BluRay .mkv files ripped with 1.9.0 do not exhibit this problem.

Unfortunately, I don't have any log files as I recently discovered this playback issue appears to be related to the .mkv files generated by MakeMKV. I will provide any available logs from the next rip.

#Edit
This issue does not exist for DVD rips.
No errors were logged after re-ripping a BluRay with error logging on.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Support for Handbrake is over at forum.handbrake.fr. They'll want the activity logs from the encode that has problems.

It is not a systemic problem with 1.9.1, because I average 5 BDs per week going through MakeMKV and then handbrake. And I've been using v1.9.1 since it hit the website....
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
VanNostrum

Post by VanNostrum »

#Solved

Reverting to MakeMVK 1.9.0 solved the playback issue. I don't use Handbrake to transcode normally - I just DLNA stream the .mkvs to my TV, but noticed that this person's issue had similar symptoms to mine.

Something changed in the file writing between 1.9.0 and 1.9.1 that causes these compatibility issues. All of my 1.9.0 and earlier .mkvs play without issue, and all new rips using 1.9.0 play without issue. 1.9.1 does not.