MakeMKV Never Finishes

MKV playback, recompression, remuxing, codec packs, players, howtos, etc.
Randomtask

MakeMKV Never Finishes

Post by Randomtask »

Running MakeMKV v1.9.2 x64 on Windows 7 and whenever I process a m2ts, it goes through the entire process of copying the new mkv, but then once the time remaining gets to 0:00:00, MakeMKV never finishes or makes any more progress after that. The software still appears to be completely responsive so it's not like it's freezing or anything... Also, if I open the mkv it is not playable and if I close the software the generated mkv is deleted. Have people run into this issue before?

These are titles that have been processed by the latest version of BD-Rebuilder, if that is relevant.
Woodstock

Re: MakeMKV Never Finishes

Post by Woodstock »

Debug logs (link in my signature) would probably be of help here, to see what errors/oddities MakeMKV saw.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Randomtask

Post by Randomtask »

I've enabled logging and running again... will report back.
Randomtask

Post by Randomtask »

Well, this error (below) shows up several times now that I have enabled debugging... Not thrilled about that because this is a brand new hard drive! Would this likely prevent the file from not finishing? The software will not buffer/throttle to work with a busy disk? For reference, the destination HDD is a 7200 RPM internal and is not the drive that the OS is on so speed shouldn't be such an issue.

Program reads data faster than it can write to disk, consider upgrading your hard drive if you see many of these messages.
Randomtask

Post by Randomtask »

Followup... ok something is up. Because of the messages I was receiving, I decided to try processing the video from/to SSD. The conversion goes lightning fast and the same errors flood the screen "Program reads data faster than it can write to disk, consider upgrading your hard drive if you see many of these messages."
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

That error is (usually) harmless, just saying that MakeMKV was waiting on disk writes to complete. Seeing it consistently when writing to an SSD, though, could indicate a problem in your system. Fragmented disk allocation doesn't mean much to an SSD, after all.

At the end of a rip, MakeMKV appears to do a "clean-up" pass on the data, which includes removing any empty "forced only" subtitle tracks, but it will you when it is doing that.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Randomtask

Post by Randomtask »

Yeah... my issue, though, is that it never goes past the first step. It gets to the very end and then the timer just keeps going. The conversion itself only takes 5-7 minutes and I've left it alone up to 8 hours and it never finishes.