tsMuxeR - does it transcode audio/video?

MKV playback, recompression, remuxing, codec packs, players, howtos, etc.
maiden_trooper

tsMuxeR - does it transcode audio/video?

Post by maiden_trooper »

Hello. I am new to the whole world of ripping and playback of Blu-Ray discs, so please pardon my ignorance.

I have a bunch of Blu-ray discs that I have ripped to .mkv using Makemkv.
All of my files contain lossless audio tracks, mostly DTS HD-MA and a few Dolby TrueHD tracks.

These files play back without any problems using VLC player on my computer.
However, my Pioneer BDP 450 throws crazy fits when I attempt to play the very same files on it.

After a great deal of experimentation, I have found out that my BDP plays back .m2ts files without hitches, which brings me to my question:

If I use tsMuxeR to remux my mkv files into .m2ts, will the process involve transcoding of the original mkv file's audio or video streams?
If yes, then please tell me what I should do to convert mkv files to m2ts without any quality loss whatsoever.

I understand that the very name of the software, 'tsMuxeR' indicates that it simply muxes/demuxes various streams that it finds in the input file, but I thought I will ask anyway just for confirmation (and my peace of mind).

Thanks.
Last edited by maiden_trooper on Mon May 11, 2015 4:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
ndjamena

Re: tsMuxeR - does it transcode audio/video?

Post by ndjamena »

No, tsmuxer has no built in decoders/encoders, so it will only remux whatever information it finds in the source file.

It should be able to copy all the Blu Ray codecs from an MKV EXCEPT FOR TRUEHD. It is a requirement for TrueHD in an M2TS file that it is muxed with an accompanying AC3 track for backward compatibility purposes. On the other hand it is a requirement in MKV that the AC3 core be stripped which makes the two kinds of TrueHD streams incompatible.

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t ... ght=truehd
maiden_trooper

Re: tsMuxeR - does it transcode audio/video?

Post by maiden_trooper »

Thank you @ndjamena.

Your answer also explains why I couldn't transcode my mkv copy of "V For Vendetta" which comes with TrueHD. :D