Keeping the non-English audio on DVDs!

MKV playback, recompression, remuxing, codec packs, players, howtos, etc.
veganashleigh

Keeping the non-English audio on DVDs!

Post by veganashleigh »

Hey,

I'm having some trouble saving the original Japanese audio/video option on some DVDs. The MakeMKV program just automatically copies only the English dubbed version.

Please help!!
ndjamena

Re: Keeping the non-English audio on DVDs!

Post by ndjamena »

Are you using the GUI or the Command Line?

I'd normally say change the default selection rule/preferred language, but if you only need the Japanese audio on a few anime and not as the default default then that's not the answer. If you're using the command line then that makes things even more difficult.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

If you have NOT selected a preferred language, MakeMKV will default to saving all languages.

For subtitles, it will be all tracks in all languages, but the default for audio tracks are a bit different - it picks the "best" track for each language (most complex), which isn't necessarily the one you want.

Setting a preferred language makes it toss out non-preferred languages... unless you play with the selection string, which is under the Advanced settings.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
veganashleigh

Post by veganashleigh »

I'm using the simple interface for the average user of the free version. (The free MakeMKV BETA you download from the homepage) I'm not using command prompt if that's what you mean?

Under "preferences" there are these tabs: Video, IO, Language, Protection, Streaming, General.

In the "language" tab options there's: "interface language" and "preferred language". Does the "preferred language" option here help at all?

I can find no advanced settings. My system is Windows 7.

Is there a version you have to pay for that has more options that would help me? I noticed a "purchase" option in the program you download. Can I not do it with what I have?

Thanks for your help :) Please reply.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

The "Advanced" tab is turned on by clicking on "Expert mode" under the "General" tab.

If you set a preferred language under the "Language" tab without using advanced settings, you will only get that preferred language pre-selected in the audio and subtitle tracks.

You can always over-ride those selections. Look for the little triangle next to each title in the left hand window. Click on it and the entry will expand to show you the individual tracks within the title, and you can choose what you want.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging