Subtitles not being included with video

MKV playback, recompression, remuxing, codec packs, players, howtos, etc.
black_rook

Subtitles not being included with video

Post by black_rook »

I don't know if its a disk issue or a failure of my understanding of how MakeMKV works. When i select to include all Audio and subtitle tracks on a disk, the video is transcoded correctly but all the subtitle information is gone. It does not seem to make the conversion. I'm running Windows 10 Pro 64-bit. Any help on getting my subtitle tracks into my MKV file would be appreciated.
Woodstock

Re: Subtitles not being included with video

Post by Woodstock »

"transcoded properly".... By what?

MakeMKV copies the tracks off the disk and into the MKV file. While there are options to recode certain types of audio tracks for compatibility, the video and subtitles are copied into the new container.

The first step is to make sure they're selected. When you open the disk, the left menu lists the titles on the disk. Clicking on the small triangle next to each will expand the listing to show you the tracks within the title. By default, all the subtitles should be selected (have a check mark), unless you've changed your language preferences or the default selection rule.

After the MKV files are saved, they should contain whatever you had selected. Now you're at the stage of PLAYER compatibility. And not all players can handle all subtitle types in MKV files. What are you using to play the MKV file?
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
black_rook

Post by black_rook »

The subtitles were detected and checked when the MKV container was created. I attempted to play the MKV from my flash drive on my DVD player, and from my HDD using windows media player, PowerDVD and VLC. None of those programs could detect that there were subtitles. All the Audio tracks were there, just no subtitles. And by transcoded properly... the file works and acts exactly as i expected it to, the video is clear, chapter stops are in the right spots, audio works properly, just no subs.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

If you have not already, search for "mkvtoolnix" and download it for your operating system. mkvinfo (which also has a graphic interface) will tell you what is and is not in the MKV file generated by MakeMKV.

What does it say for your files?

Depending upon the versions of the players you're using, they might not support the subtitles in the file!
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
black_rook

Post by black_rook »

I ran the program and confirmed that the subs are in the file. I did not realize that subs in mkv are not supported by alot of players. Is there a codec or something i can download that would allow other devices to read the subs?
Chetwood

Post by Chetwood »

Nope. You could burn them in (hardcode) with tools like Handbrake but I prefer simply pressing the subtitles key on my remote waiting for the day upcoming devices finally will support forced subs flagging.
MultiMakeMKV: MakeMKV batch processing (Win)
MultiShrink: DVD Shrink batch processing
Offizieller Uebersetzer von DVD Shrink deutsch
black_rook

Post by black_rook »

I am not a fan of hardcoding my subtitles. i will make due with programs like VLC until companies get off their butts and support more subtitle formats. Thanks to both of you for your help.