Another Dolby Atmos question (regarding playback) [SOLVED]

MKV playback, recompression, remuxing, codec packs, players, howtos, etc.
NickNewb

Another Dolby Atmos question (regarding playback) [SOLVED]

Post by NickNewb »

I searched the forums and MakeMKV can rip Dolby TrueHD Atmos just fine. I have a question however, with playback.

I have the movie Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (2014) on blu-ray and it has Dolby Atmos as an audio track. MakeMKV shows it as being a TrueHD Atmos 7.1 track. Ok great. I rip the movie and when I do, I only ripped the Atmos track. I did not rip any other audio tracks, not even the Dolby Digital Surround 5.1 Core Audio track (I know, I know, just bear with me for a sec).

I have a Windows 7 machine, running VLC media player 2.2.1 and it's *not* connected to any A/V receiver. It's just connected to my monitor via HDMI. When I play the file in VLC, the audio is choppy. I have a Mac mini running VLC media player connected to a TV via HDMI (again, no A/V receiver) and the audio is choppy there too. On that same Mac mini, I'm also running Kodi 15.1, and in Kodi, the audio plays fine. What gives? Is Kodi downsampling on the fly or something? Why is the audio choppy in VLC? I would've thought that if VLC couldn't understand the codec, it wouldn't play anything at all. On both computers, using VLC, the audio is choppy in the same way, ie., it's not due to attempting to play across a network or something.

Now I do know the movie has the Dolby Digital Surround 5.1 as a Core Audio track and another Dolby Digital Surround 5.1 as a non-core audio track. But theoretically though, given the right playback equipment, I should be just fine with *only* the Dolby Atmos track, right?

*EDIT*
Just in case anyone stumbles upon this with the same issue, I ended up posting on the VLC forums and the response I got from one of the developers (on Nov. 22, 2015) is that VLC does not currently fully support Dolby Atmos.