DVD files 23.976 or 23.976? Please clarify?

Please post here for issues related to DVD discs
loganm187

DVD files 23.976 or 23.976? Please clarify?

Post by loganm187 »

I have always heard dvd files are 23.976 and then the player will do 3:2 pulldown to present it at 29.976. So shouldn't my dvd files in makemkv be 23.976 like the blu ray rips? They are all 29.976 and look "off" Just need some calrification. Does MPC-HC do 3:2 pulldown? I tried every player under the sun and they all playback at 29.976 and look off.
Woodstock

Re: DVD files 23.976 or 23.976? Please clarify?

Post by Woodstock »

"It depends".

A disk (DVD or BD) can have the video at "24 fps" on an NTSC disk, and do the telecine treatment in the player, or it can be "30 fps" and play without telecine being added. I have examples of both in DVD (plus PAL encoding at 24/25 fps), and examples of BDs that have interlaced video at "30 fps".

The standards allow significant variation.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
loganm187

Post by loganm187 »

Woodstock wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:38 pm
"It depends".

A disk (DVD or BD) can have the video at "24 fps" on an NTSC disk, and do the telecine treatment in the player, or it can be "30 fps" and play without telecine being added. I have examples of both in DVD (plus PAL encoding at 24/25 fps), and examples of BDs that have interlaced video at "30 fps".

The standards allow significant variation.
so, if i am ripping dvd's and some are 29.976 files that is just what is on the disc? Makemkv is not doing anything but just putting the file in a container, right? The PAL dvd's I ripped have all been 25 fps. I just want to make sure I am not messing anything up.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

The majority of cases I've encountered are that the file on the DVD is "30 fps". When I load them in handbrake (and EVERYTHING I rip goes through handbrake after ripping), handbrake can bring the frame rate to 24 fps, if I ask it to. I don't always ask it to, though.

I really do not worry much about it; If I'm playing the files full-screen, the refresh rate on the monitor usually adjusts to match. And the default refresh rate is 30 Hz on most of my monitors.

I'm more concerned about getting the de-interlace correct, which sometimes involves doubling the frame rate.
loganm187

Post by loganm187 »

Woodstock wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:54 pm
The majority of cases I've encountered are that the file on the DVD is "30 fps". When I load them in handbrake (and EVERYTHING I rip goes through handbrake after ripping), handbrake can bring the frame rate to 24 fps, if I ask it to. I don't always ask it to, though.

I really do not worry much about it; If I'm playing the files full-screen, the refresh rate on the monitor usually adjusts to match. And the default refresh rate is 30 Hz on most of my monitors.

I'm more concerned about getting the de-interlace correct, which sometimes involves doubling the frame rate.
My display adjusts to the frame rate of the actual file which in most cases with DVD would be 29.976 (or just stays 60 and reclock doubles it) NOT 23.976 (or 24). Films look really cheap and strange 30 frames, so if i am ripping dvd's i need to run them through handbrake to have them playback correctly? Is that my answer to this? Also, Anyway to do this without hurting the quality? I just want my dvd files to play back at the correct damn format!!! haha
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Ah, the magic question - "How to fix things without losing quality?" And it is a question better raised on the Handbrake forum at forum.handbrake.fr than here.

They have some presets that work well for DVD sources - the ones that have "480p" in their names are tweaked for DVD sources. But they normally leave the telecine "as is", and assume a 29.97/30fps output. I turn on the detelecine filter on the Filters page and use "Same as source" for the frame rate on the Video page.

For advice beyond that, run a few test encodes and check the results. You'll need encode logs to get advice on their forum in any case, to show what the source was, and what you asked handbrake to do with it.
loganm187

Post by loganm187 »

Woodstock wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:29 am
Ah, the magic question - "How to fix things without losing quality?" And it is a question better raised on the Handbrake forum at forum.handbrake.fr than here.

They have some presets that work well for DVD sources - the ones that have "480p" in their names are tweaked for DVD sources. But they normally leave the telecine "as is", and assume a 29.97/30fps output. I turn on the detelecine filter on the Filters page and use "Same as source" for the frame rate on the Video page.

For advice beyond that, run a few test encodes and check the results. You'll need encode logs to get advice on their forum in any case, to show what the source was, and what you asked handbrake to do with it.

I put the Detelecine to default and changed the framerate to 24 and did a test render and the movie looked correct!!! It didn't look like cheap ass 30p video anymore. Just curious...why don't video players have a pulldown option for 29.976? Since pretty much all dvd's in the states have 29.976 files on them it seems very odd that anyone would want to watch a 24p movie in gross 30p. Rather strange to me, but maybe there is some answer that makes sense. so, does this mean almost any DVD rip i have downloaded on the web over the years was just converted to 24 after ripping? What a pain.