The Secret Service UK DVD (missing episodes)

Please post here for issues related to DVD discs
jesse94

The Secret Service UK DVD (missing episodes)

Post by jesse94 »

Hi, I buy a lot of region 2 DVDs and I have to make .mkv files in order to play them on my region.

This particular set has 2 discs and both discs can't output the 13 episodes.
Out of 13, I get 5.
4/7 on disc 1.
1/6 on disc 2.

FYI, many have the same length and perhaps the same mb size. Also the 2 episodes with audio commentary tracks were not available to save in mkv.

What an I do???
Woodstock

Re: The Secret Service UK DVD (missing episodes)

Post by Woodstock »

More information is necessary. I'd start with the information asked for in the FAQ in my signature, so that Mike can look at it (email address to send it to is in the FAQ).

There is a "manual dvd" mode you can use to take control over what is "rippable", but you need to know a bit about how the disk is laid out.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
jesse94

Post by jesse94 »

thanks, mail sent.
Yugatha

Post by Yugatha »

I buy a lot of region 2 DVDs and I have to make .mkv files in order to play them on my region.
Can I assume that your drive is not set to Region 2? While MakeMKV attempts to work around it, there may be an error while it does so, preventing the entire disc from being read. If you have a different drive, try switching it to Region 2 (beware - most drives only allow this to be done 5 times in its lifetime).

Alternatively, if the drive is region 2 (or region free), try as Woodstock says, and use Manual Mode. Using VLC Media Player, you can identify the correct title respective to the episode by:
  1. Launch the DVD in VLC
  2. Select the Episode you want to check in the player
  3. Once it is playing, right click on the screen, hover over playback -> Title, and whatever title it says, is the respective title to use in Manual Mode
jesse94

Post by jesse94 »

My drive is region 1 and I ran out of switching regions times.

How to use manual mode?
Yugatha

Post by Yugatha »

jesse94 wrote:My drive is region 1 and I ran out of switching regions times.

How to use manual mode?
First, depending on your drive, you may be able to reset it with a region-free firmware (i think the general site is rpc1.org , but Google has the answer) - this may help for the future (be careful though - there's the chance it can brick your drive if not done correctly).

As for manual mode, http://makemkv.com/manualdvd/ is the basic guide. In short, though:
  1. Follow the previous steps to get the title number
  2. Launch MakeMKV, choose the right drive, and tick the "Open DVD manually" checkbox
  3. Enter the title string. This is, most basically, the title numbers needed separated by a space (eg if ep1 = title 2, ep2 = title 3, ep3 = title 5 , the string would be 2 3 5). The order specified in the string will be the order in the next window
  4. Use MakeMKV as per normal
jesse94

Post by jesse94 »

Yugatha wrote: First, depending on your drive, you may be able to reset it with a region-free firmware (i think the general site is rpc1.org , but Google has the answer) - this may help for the future (be careful though - there's the chance it can brick your drive if not done correctly).
rpc1.org is dead, sadly. But Red Fox AnyDVD did the trick for now.
Yugatha wrote: As for manual mode, http://makemkv.com/manualdvd/ is the basic guide. In short, though:
  1. Follow the previous steps to get the title number
  2. Launch MakeMKV, choose the right drive, and tick the "Open DVD manually" checkbox
  3. Enter the title string. This is, most basically, the title numbers needed separated by a space (eg if ep1 = title 2, ep2 = title 3, ep3 = title 5 , the string would be 2 3 5). The order specified in the string will be the order in the next window
  4. Use MakeMKV as per normal
Thanks a lot