Trouble with "Burn-on demand" national geographic discs

Please post here for issues related to DVD discs
jj123

Trouble with "Burn-on demand" national geographic discs

Post by jj123 »

I'm having problems with "Jane" (failed to open disc) and now "Mysteries underground" IFO file for VTS #2 is corrupt, VOB file must be scanned. This may take very long time, please be patient.
Calculated BUP offset for VTS #3 does not match one in IFO header.
DEBUG: Code 100941314 at ipIew^gGnGByEUZg1a:213131686
DEBUG: Code 100941314 at ipIew^gGnGByEUZg1a:29393930

other BOD discs have had no issues such as fox titles but these can't even open. Any Ideas?
Woodstock

Re: Trouble with "Burn-on demand" national geographic discs

Post by Woodstock »

I personally think some "BOD" disks are just not authored correctly.

I purchased a 4-disk set a few months ago, and the third disk consistently failed. It was badly scratched, obviously from when it was being removed from the burner, so I had it replaced... and the second copy was scratched just as badly.

On a whim, I decided to use dd on Linux to copy both copies to ISOs, skipping over any errors encountered, then use those ISOs to construct a "correct" copy. dd found no read errors in either disk (despite the obvious scratches), and the ISOs were 100% identical.

Even then, MakeMKV could not decode the main feature of the disk, and one of the secondary features had quite a number of video/audio glitches.

I tried playing both ISOs with VLC, which has its own DVD decoding engine. The video "went wonky" at the same points that MKV files had had an issue. The feature MakeMKV couldn't read, VLC gave up on as well.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
jj123

Re: Trouble with "Burn-on demand" national geographic discs

Post by jj123 »

Well at least I'm not alone.