Sayonara fails to rip

Please post here for issues related to DVD discs
OrvilleP

Sayonara fails to rip

Post by OrvilleP »

MakeMKV v1.5.8 win(x64-release) started
Using direct disc access mode
Title #0 was added (19 cell(s), 2:26:56)
Title #1 has length of 1 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #2 has length of 30 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #3 has length of 11 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #4 was added (1 cell(s), 0:03:57)
Operation sucessfully completed
Saving 2 titles into directory Y:/DVD MKVs/Sayonara
Failed to save title 0 to file Y:/DVD MKVs/Sayonara/title00.mkv
1 titles saved, 1 failed
setarip_old

Re: Sayonara fails to rip

Post by setarip_old »

Hi!

Is this a BluRay disc or a standard DVD?
Is the full title "Sayonara" or "Sayonara Itsuka" or "Sayonara Zetsubo Sensei"?
Is it a purchased, commercial disc, or something else? - I ask this because I can find no official release date for either title in BluRay format.

1) Turn on "Debug log"

2) Clean the disc

3) Try to rip again (Make sure you're using ONLY MakeMKV - NO AnyDVD or similar running in either foreground or background)

4) If it fails again, submit the "Debug log"

OrvilleP

Post by OrvilleP »

Setarip_old,

Thank you so much for responding. I apologize for being late in replying. I have been out.

My Sayonara, the full title, is a a purchased, commercial standard DVD. It is part of my collection that dates back maybe 10 years. It is one of my favorites from the Korean War era. Scans of the front and back covers are attached. Other jpgs are attached that may shed light on the subject.

My MediaClient computer does not have AnyDVD installed. It does have PowerDVD 9 Ultra installed, but PowerDVD was not running during the attempted rip of Sayonara.

1. I turned on the “Debug log”.

2. I cleaned the Sayonara disc by spraying lightly with a Windex-like cleaner and then wiping with a Viva tissue using a circular motion.

3. I used MakeDVD again to rip Sayonara, with the same result.

4. The Debug log is submitted. It follows. I hope the DEBUG codes contribute information that will lead to the successful use of MakeMKV to sip Sayonara.

Sterling Lindsey

MakeMKV v1.5.8 win(x64-release) started
Debug logging enabled, log will be saved as C:\Users\Lindsey/MakeMKV_log.txt
Using direct disc access mode
Title #0 was added (19 cell(s), 2:26:56)
Title #1 has length of 1 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #2 has length of 30 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #3 has length of 11 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #4 was added (1 cell(s), 0:03:57)
Operation sucessfully completed
Saving 2 titles into directory R:/DVD MKVs/Sayonara
DEBUG: Code 149 at 2rn9)J;%$tM]gNj!?H\:29397426
DEBUG: Code 0 at Xx?t\%'u.k;,A)R.CQ8*l:29397449
LIBMKV_TRACE: Exception: Error while reading input
Failed to save title 0 to file R:/DVD MKVs/Sayonara/title00.mkv
1 titles saved, 1 failed
Attachments
100904-MakeDVD rip of Sayonara-4 of 6.JPG
100904-MakeDVD rip of Sayonara-4 of 6.JPG (21.09 KiB) Viewed 24299 times
100904-DVD Sayonara-Front Cover.jpg
100904-DVD Sayonara-Front Cover.jpg (866.71 KiB) Viewed 24299 times
100904-MakeDVD rip of Sayonara-3 of 6.JPG
100904-MakeDVD rip of Sayonara-3 of 6.JPG (111.56 KiB) Viewed 24299 times
setarip_old

Post by setarip_old »

I cleaned the Sayonara disc by spraying lightly with a Windex-like cleaner and then wiping with a Viva tissue using a circular motion.
Unlike good ol' phonograph records, the proper way to clean DVDs (and BluRays) is RADIALLY from the center hub to the outer edge...

mike admin

Post by mike admin »

OrvilleP wrote:4. The Debug log is submitted. It follows. I hope the DEBUG codes contribute information that will lead to the successful use of MakeMKV to sip Sayonara.
Please submit the full debug log, one from C:\Users\Lindsey/MakeMKV_log.txt . It should have a bunch of "C_00XXX=ZXXXX" lines.
OrvilleP

Post by OrvilleP »

setarip_old,

Thanke for correcting my DVD cleaning procedure. I cannot find the file: C:\Users\Lindsey/MakeMKV_log.txt on my Vista (64-bit) computer, anywhere. Why would that be?

Sterling Lindsey
setarip_old

Post by setarip_old »

Can you find (without the quotes) "C:\Users\Lindsey"?

OrvilleP

Post by OrvilleP »

Setarip_old,

Yes, I can find C:\Users\Lindsey. It contains 23 directories and 11 files, but nothing like /MakeMKV_log.txt.

Sterling Lindsey
OrvilleP

Post by OrvilleP »

Setarip_old,

I haven't heard from you since I told you I can't fine the file C:\Users\Lindsey/MakeMKV_log.txt. I'm wondering what gives?

Sterling Lindsey
setarip_old

Post by setarip_old »

You haven't heard further from me because I have nothing further to offer regarding your inability to track down the debug log.

Have you used the "Search" function of Windows Explorer?

OrvilleP

Post by OrvilleP »

Setarip_old,

I have two client computers and one NAS. 3800Client runs Vista (64-bit). MediaClient runs Win 7 (64-bit). Both 3800Client and MediaClient have Blu-ray ODDs installed, but the one on 3800Client is one of the original LG units that will read Blu-ray, HD-DVD and DVD while MediaClient's ODD is one of the fairly new Sony slim Blu-ray burners. I originally planned to install MakeMKV only on 3800Client because of its cost, but when I discovered I could try it out at zero cost I decided to install it on both clients to see if the ripping went faster on MediaClient. I normally rip on 3800Client and play on MediaClient because MediaClient is located under my TV set in an arrangement that is awkward for computing since I haven't yet bought a wireless console set. I have to scrunch down on my coffee table to compute on MediaClient.

When I rip Sayonara on 3800Client the rip fails and when I look at the directory C:\Users\Lindsey I see nada for MakeMKV_log.txt. The snip of the directory is attached.

So I moved over to MediaClient this morning and went through the same Sayonara rip process again. Guess what? Viola! The directory C:\Users\Lindsey does in fact contain MakeMKV_log.txt. Both the snip of C:\Users\Lindsey showing the file and the file itself are attached.

I do feel pretty stupid for not trying to rip on MediaClient earlier, but is there any explanation for why the log file shows up on MediaClient but not on 3800Client?

Anyway, I hope to move on to understanding what is going on with the Sayonara rip.

Regards,

Sterling Lindsey
Attachments
MakeMKV_log.txt
C:\Users\Lindsey\MakeMKV_log.txt on MediaClient
(716.99 KiB) Downloaded 577 times
C:\Users\Lindsey directory on MediaClient
C:\Users\Lindsey directory on MediaClient
100911-06-Satonara rip on MediaClient.JPG (240.95 KiB) Viewed 24255 times
C:\Users\Lindsey directory on 3800Client
C:\Users\Lindsey directory on 3800Client
100911-07-Sayonara rip 3800Client.JPG (209.84 KiB) Viewed 24255 times
OrvilleP

Post by OrvilleP »

Setarip_old,

It looks like the log file didn't get attached so here it is again.

Sterling Lindsey
Attachments
MakeMKV_log.txt
MakeMKV_log.txt from MediaClient
(716.99 KiB) Downloaded 571 times
setarip_old

Post by setarip_old »

I'm sure "mike admin" will be along to interpret and evaluate the debug log...

mike admin

Post by mike admin »

Thanks. A corrupted DVD disc, workaround will be added in a next version.
OrvilleP

Post by OrvilleP »

Setarip_old,

I ripped DVD Sayonara again with MakeMKV 1.6.0 with the same result as before. The log file is attachment 1 and a snip of the rip file collection is attachment 2.

Styerling Lindsey
Attachments
rip file collection
rip file collection
100923-DVD Sayonara rip by MakeDVD 1.6.0.JPG (113.94 KiB) Viewed 24184 times
MakeMKV_log.txt
log file
(716.51 KiB) Downloaded 538 times