Defect or error with offset ... - DVD is clean, no scratches!?

Please post here for issues related to DVD discs
ChristianK

Defect or error with offset ... - DVD is clean, no scratches!?

Post by ChristianK »

Hi,

as the title says, I got since 2 days (yes, I am trying long long time to get this last DVD ripped) always this Error message about VTS_08_1.VOB is defect or unusable at offset xyz. the software tries to fix that.
"Die Quell-Datei '/VIDEO_TS/VTS_08_1.VOB' ist defekt oder ungültig bei Offset 77824. Es wird versucht, dies zu umgehen"

Well, the DVD is scratch-free, I cleaned it. Everything. Just wondering, why after 40 DVDs (my whole collection) this DVD nr 4 won't be readable. :? :shock:

Woodstock

Re: Defect or error with offset ... - DVD is clean, no scratches!?

Post by Woodstock »

If the file name and offset is always the same, it is most likely an issue with the disk. If it moves around, it is more likely to be the drive.

What version of MakeMKV are you running? There have been some issues with a couple of versions on the treatment of Bluray subtitles, but I have not seen reports of that happening with DVDs.

What disk are you trying to rip? Some disks have "fake" titles that include instructions to read outside the physical disk area; these can produce consistent read errors if you select one of the fake titles.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
ChristianK

Re: Defect or error with offset ... - DVD is clean, no scratches!?

Post by ChristianK »

Hi Woodstock

it's Version 1,14 under OSX High Sierra.
The DVD is TheSimpsons, it's after around 40DVDs (from season 1-15) the season 14 DVD-4, the previous 1-3 from seasion 14 worked as expected.

It happens always in the scanning mode, so before I can choose any track to extract. That's a huge problem. I don't rip the whole DVD, just the five movies (around 20min) all the bonus stuff I am not interested in.