File output capped at 5580.5 MB

Please post here for issues related to DVD discs
the2thdoc

File output capped at 5580.5 MB

Post by the2thdoc »

I am attempting to copy a dvd and the output file keeps getting capped at 5580.5 MB. The DVD is dual layer so the process keeps getting cut off before completion. Any ideas as to why and what can i do to fix this? Thanks
Woodstock

Re: File output capped at 5580.5 MB

Post by Woodstock »

Not without debug log information... What you describe is probably a free space issue, but MakeMKV usually won't attempt a rip if there is insufficient space on the target device.

It's not a MakeMKV limitation - I just ripped half the Studio Ghibli library, and the smallest was 25GB...
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
the2thdoc

Post by the2thdoc »

I don't think it is a free space issue. Destination drive has over 800 GB of free space.
I tried another disk...size is approx 6.5 GB
This time program froze at about 5.375 GB of output...see attachment
Since it freezes, I can't get log information

Any settings I should be looking at?
bmillham

Post by bmillham »

Let me guess, the drive you are writing to is formatted FAT? You need to reformat it to NTFS or exFAT (or if using linux EXT4).

A FAT filesystem limits filesize to 4GB.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Actually, MakeMKV tries to detect FAT drives, and flag them if the destination is not going to support a large file. At least, it used to; Mike may have removed that test because so many network drives reported FAT formatting, even when they weren't.

If it were a network environment, I'd suspect a per-user file allocation limit on the server for that particular user, but home networks rarely default to enforcing that limit. When something like that is in place, processes will get a "disk full" indication, even when the disk has plenty of space, if the user exceeds the limit they're allowed.

A test for that would be to remove something large from the network drive, and see if the write is allowed to proceed that much further.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging