Ralph Breaks the Internet(and the sound)

Please post here for issues related to DVD discs
kwolf

Ralph Breaks the Internet(and the sound)

Post by kwolf »

I'm trying to rip Ralph Breaks the Internet from the DVD but the sounds ends up being cavernous in many scenes, missing from others, loud music with no voice in other scenes. Totally chaotic! I tried a few time with the exact same result each time(meaning, a missing or cavernous voice appear in the same scene it appeared in a previous attempt) I never had this problem before so I'm not sure this might not be a new copy protection or not. I am using the latest makemkv 1.14.3.
Arry1587

Re: Ralph Breaks the Internet(and the sound)

Post by Arry1587 »

I had a similar issue recently but it turned out to be a Windows problem with audio that appeared out of nowhere, probably pertaining to 5.1 audio which as far as I know 'Ralph Breaks the Internet' and many other movies have. Other movies were suddenly broken in the same way that had 5.1 audio no matter what player I used. I don't know the precise cause or solution though, as updating audio drivers did not help, tried different media players, and screwing with all sorts of settings. The same files worked on different PCs, it's likely a Windows Update fixed it. Normally playing a file with 5.1 sound on stereo isn't a problem since it'll "downmix" (combine all 5.1 channels to 2.0) and play properly on 2.0 stereo speakers/headphones so you hear everything, you probably ran into the same bug I did, audio is being output as if expected on a 5.1 setup but you're only hearing 2 channels at a time.
kwolf

Post by kwolf »

Wow, you are right. I tried playing directly from the dvd and the same problem appear. And indeed, if I select the 2.0 track the sound is fine. Argh, drivers, the worst kind of problem :|

Thanks for the cue!
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Ralph breaks internet, Microsoft breaks everything else. :)
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Arry1587

Post by Arry1587 »

I'm really glad I could help. :)