Weird behaviour with WB discs

Please post here for issues related to DVD discs
Foxy1

Weird behaviour with WB discs

Post by Foxy1 »

Specs:

MakeMKV 1.14.4 on macOS 10.12, MacBook Pro, one of the last ones with internal DVD.
Internal is HL-DT-ST DVDRW GS23N SB07d.
Two externals in powered USB hub, HL-DT-ST DVDRAM SP80NB80 RC00d, and Blu-Ray HL-DT-ST BP50NB40 1.01d.

Issue:

Most, but not all, WB DVDs won't copy. Example: North by Northwest, Veronica Mars box sets (seasons 1 and 3; season 2 copied fine), and some of Witchblade.

I have Witchblade: The Complete Series Disc 2 in the DVDRAM drive right now, and after "Elapsed: 0:40:30", Output size: is 3.5 K. It says "Saving to MKV file", so it was able to finish the "Analysing seamless segments" phase it appears. It will likely never finish. Disc 1 did copy after sitting for 25 minutes, but only in the Blu-Ray drive. Neither the internal nor the external DVDRAM one ever finished disc 1, after leaving it for an hour. I left North by Northwest overnight, and after 9 hours it was also Output size: 3.5 K.

This *only* affects discs that have the Warner Brothers logo on it. I've copied over 100 discs for my disabled mother to watch via DLNA instead of having to get up and swap discs all the time, and they've *all* been fine except WB DVDs. Is this a known issue? Unfortunately I don't think I can swap the internal for another manufacturer (it has to be "Apple approved" and I think this generation of MBP only takes HL, no Pioneers), but should I try to find another manufacturer in external and try it? (Asking the smarties here before I waste money on a potential disappointment.)

I appreciate any help you can provide. Thanks for reading.
frump

Re: Weird behaviour with WB discs

Post by frump »

It's almost certainly the CC>Subtitles option causing the issue. Have you tried deselecting that before you attempt to create a MKV file? Every time I have a similar issue to what you describe, that's what fixes it.
Foxy1

Post by Foxy1 »

I wasn't even aware MakeMKV had this option. That fixed it! Thank you so much frump :mrgreen:
Djames516

Post by Djames516 »

This fixed my issue as well. And I'm betting some other people had the same problem.