Las Vegas S1 - Discs 2 & 3 errors

Please post here for issues related to DVD discs
merkman

Las Vegas S1 - Discs 2 & 3 errors

Post by merkman »

Hi. New to the forums, but I'm a computer tech who has built PC's for years and know a little about video tech.

Recently, my bro-in-law asked me to rip a set of DVD's for him, and I thought I'd like to rip my Las Vegas (tv show) seasons and save them on my NAS, as you can't stream them from anywhere (as far as I can tell). So I downloaded MakeMKV which a buddy told me about, inserted the first disc into my LG BE06LU10 USB external optical dive, and ripped the first four episodes without issue.

The weird thing about the Las Vegas discs is they only have 3 discs in the box for 19 episodes. Instead of providing 6 discs, they use Double-Sided DVD's. The "2nd" disc (Disc 1, Side 2) worked fine as well, so I was off to a good start. But by the time I got to Disc "4" (Disc 2, side 2))… I started getting errors. I spent about the last day looking for options to fix, using VLC with the css file, using AnyDVD, etc. All the apps seem to have a similar error, so I found another copy of Las Vegas Season 1 today on Ebay, and bought it hoping different discs may work better.

In the meantime, the discs are distributed by Universal, and the errors I'm getting are as follows:

"Saving 1 titles into directory F:/Las Vegas/S1 Disc 5
Error 'Scsi error - MEDIUM ERROR:ID CRC OR ECC ERROR' occurred while reading '/VIDEO_TS/VTS_01_1.VOB' at offset '1499369472'
Error 'OS error - STATUS_DEVICE_DATA_ERROR' occurred while reading '\Device\CdRom0' at offset '1499369472'
Error 'OS error - STATUS_DEVICE_DATA_ERROR' occurred while reading '\Device\CdRom0' at offset '1499369472'
Error 'Scsi error - MEDIUM ERROR:ID CRC OR ECC ERROR' occurred while reading '/VIDEO_TS/VTS_01_1.VOB' at offset '1499369472'
Error 'Scsi error - MEDIUM ERROR:UNRECOVERED READ ERROR' occurred while reading '/VIDEO_TS/VTS_01_1.VOB' at offset '1499369472'
Failed to save title 3 to file F:/Las Vegas/S1 Disc 5/title_t03.mkv
Encountered 11 errors of type 'Read Error' - see http://www.makemkv.com/errors/dvdread/
0 titles saved, 1 failed"

I followed the link, and saw something about Manual mode to avoid errors... but honestly it didn't make too much sense to me. Anyone understand enough of what this offset issue might be to provide a suggestion? I'd sure appreciate it. Oh, and I swapped my first LG External for a 2nd I bought later. Exact same problems with either external drive. Haven't taken the disc anywhere and tried a desktop PC yet, but I suppose if this doesn't look like a "security" problem I need to work around with specific instructions in the app or something... that may be next.

Thanks in advance!