Wrong aspect ratios

Please post here for issues related to DVD discs
peterjan78

Wrong aspect ratios

Post by peterjan78 »

Hi guys!

I have an issue when converting DVD files on my PC or from my DVD drive (VIDEO_TS folder wit .vob files) to mkv.
The DVD's I tried contain 3 or 4 episodes, with an aspect ratio of 4:3. They play just fine at 4:3 on my DVD player and on my PC, using MPC of VLC or whatever.
However, MakeMKV displays the wrong aspect ratio for anyone but the first episode, and generates the files with those incorrect aspect ratio's. The generated mkv of episode 1 is correctly displayed, 4:3. The following episodes are all 16:9 and don't play correctly on my PC or through Plex...

The only workaround for now is that I use Handbrake to generate the mkv files, which reads and remains the correct aspect ratio of 4:3 for all episodes...

MakeMKV version: 1.14.5 (win, x64).
Previous version had the same problem

Hope this can be fixed...

Thanks!

In the next image you see that the selected episode is interpreted as 16:9, while it is in fact 4:3, as the last screenshot shows.
(Note: the first episode displays the correct aspect ratio of 4:3 and results in a correct mkv file.)
Knipsel.JPG
Knipsel.JPG (128.84 KiB) Viewed 23715 times
Knipsel2.JPG
Knipsel2.JPG (58.69 KiB) Viewed 23715 times
Grauhaar

Re: Wrong aspect ratios

Post by Grauhaar »

Load the created file in "MKVToolNix GUI" in the multiplexer option window. Select the video track and go to the lower right corner to the "Video properties" and set the aspect ratio to 4:3 and muxx the mkv file again. Check the new generated file if this fix works.
Good Luck :)

Post by peterjan78 »

Thanks.
It works with a muxxer like MKVtoolnix, but I would rather have MakeMKV do it right...
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

The issue boils down to there being two different aspect ratios recorded for the video (one in the video itself, one in the disk's directory). They're supposed to be the same. Which should MakeMKV chose to save?

It would be better if the disk authors did it correctly in the first place...
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Krawk

Post by Krawk »

Grauhaar wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:39 pm
Load the created file in "MKVToolNix GUI" in the multiplexer option window. Select the video track and go to the lower right corner to the "Video properties" and set the aspect ratio to 4:3 and muxx the mkv file again. Check the new generated file if this fix works.
I've never been able to get that to work, so I usually simply set Display Width and Height instead in the header editor of MKV Toolnix.
854x480 for widescreen, 640x480 for 4:3.
peterjan78

Post by peterjan78 »

Woodstock wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:39 pm
The issue boils down to there being two different aspect ratios recorded for the video (one in the video itself, one in the disk's directory). They're supposed to be the same. Which should MakeMKV chose to save?

It would be better if the disk authors did it correctly in the first place...
Well, sure, but my TV DVD-player and PC play these episodes correctly, so they have no problem choosing the right one, instead of MakeMKV...
Grauhaar

Post by Grauhaar »

peterjan78 wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:48 pm
Well, sure, but my TV DVD-player and PC play these episodes correctly, so they have no problem choosing the right one, instead of MakeMKV...
In all cases I've seen, the files (the VOB content) was flagged wrong. MakeMKV rip the VOB files, but analyse only the IFO files (the Metadata) which files are valid and so on.
Good Luck :)

Post by Damfino »

Grauhaar wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:39 pm
Wanted to thank you for posting this. Setting the aspect ratio to 4/3 in MKVToolNIX and muxing the file corrected my issue. Awesome and easy fix.
daraclark

Post by daraclark »

I ripped a new DVD and the aspect ratio was incorrect...I used WinX HD Video Converter (my friend recommended it) to change it to normal.