CHiPs - Seasons 4, 5 aspect ratio

Please post here for issues related to DVD discs
Krawk

CHiPs - Seasons 4, 5 aspect ratio

Post by Krawk »

Just updated to 1.15.1 (Windows 10) which might have nothing to do with this issue, but in ripping Seasons 4 & 5 of the TV show CHiPs the geometry looks all messed up.
Does this series have a mastering error for these seasons?
Actual resolution according to MKVTollNix is 720 by 480, display resolution is 640 by 480, but the thumbnails in windows shows black pillar boxes on the sides. If I use MPC to play these files they are distorted looking as well unless I select "touch from inside" on the playback. If I leave the playback mode to that though, just about everything else I play looks wrong. These files also play correctly in VLC with no adjustments needed, so is VLC smarter than MPC or is there something in the header that causes this?
Grauhaar

Re: CHiPs - Seasons 4, 5 aspect ratio

Post by Grauhaar »

Use "MKVToolNIX GUI", open the mkv file, go in the right windows to "Video properties" and set the aspect ratio to 16:9 and remuxx the file. This should fix it.
Good Luck :)

Post by Krawk »

Grauhaar wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 7:48 am
Use "MKVToolNIX GUI", open the mkv file, go in the right windows to "Video properties" and set the aspect ratio to 16:9 and remuxx the file. This should fix it.
Thanks for the suggestion. As many times as I have used MKVToolNix, I have never actually seen a place to set the properties to 16:9.
FWIW, if Handbrake recodes these files, it crops 90 pixels from the right and left sides and then the file displays fine in MPC.
I have seen issues in the past where MakeMKV doesn't process the IFOs correctly.
emw107

Post by emw107 »

Grauhaar wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 7:48 am
Thanks for the tip, Grauhaar.

After ripping CHiPs Season 4 (discs 1 & 2) I ran into the same display issue that Krawk did. My videos were squeezed horizontally on PLEX.

I used the Header Editor in MKVToolNIX GUI and found that adjusting the mkv file's "Video display width" to 853 essentially did the same thing: making the video display 16/9 (since the video display height was set at 480.)

However, after a friend of mine found this thread, I tested your solution - and it works too. Apparently, CHiPs Season 5 will require this type of editing as well.