Possible DVD drive not supported issue?

Please post here for issues related to DVD discs
wombat13

Possible DVD drive not supported issue?

Post by wombat13 »

Hi all:

I use MakeMKV mostly with digital files I already have, but recently I tried two Region 1 TV series DVDs and had trouble with both sets - the disks all open properly and mkv files are written, but the resulting files all have regular flashes of green frames intermixed in the video. With one series, the green flashes are every 4 seconds, on the other there are several per second. I'm running Win7Pro, and both disc sets have CSS/CPPM protection.

After looking around the forum, I'm wondering whether this is a LibreDrive issue. My drives/firmware are as follows:

ASUS DRW-24B1ST (FW 1.01)

Pioneer BDR-206 (FW 1.05)

Neither is included in the LibreDrive v6 listing, although a search indicates that some have had luck with the ASUS drive.

Is that the issue and, if so, any work-arounds?

Thanks!
Billycar11

Re: Possible DVD drive not supported issue?

Post by Billycar11 »

Nothing to do with libredrive that is for Blu-ray aacs and uhd.
It does some other stuff like unlock rip speed but your drive not supporting it would not cause the green flashes it's a disc or a player problem.
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
wombat13

Post by wombat13 »

Interesting point - if I play the disc with VLC media player, I still get the green flashes, but if I play the same disk in my BD/DVD player, the images are fine.

So what's that mean?
AffSeda

Post by AffSeda »

I realise I'm sort of new around here (and also a Debian user, so not sure if this is applicable to Windows), but have you tried disabling VLC hardware acceleration and testing if it still happens?

Tools -> Preferences -> Input/Codecs -> Hardware Accelerated Decoding -> Disable
wombat13

Post by wombat13 »

Thanks AffSeda - that solved the green flash problem - all the files play just fine now!!!

I VERY much appreciate your help :D
AffSeda

Post by AffSeda »

wombat13 wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 2:16 am
Thanks AffSeda - that solved the green flash problem - all the files play just fine now!!!

I VERY much appreciate your help :D
Great, glad I could help! I would say that if I was unable to use hardware accelerated playback I would invest some time and try to find out why. You may want to check video drivers / software updates / etc.