Hunter Killer/Anna DVD title?

Please post here for issues related to DVD discs
Bains999

Post by Bains999 »

Two DVDs – Hunter Killer and Anna
Ran through MakeMKV – results were not as expected.

For the Hunter Killer content
The .mkv file jumps from 4:28 to 6:22 on the time frame when played.
Obviously the .mp4 file gets ‘futzed up’ at the 4:28 point as would be expected.

For the ANNA content
The .mkv file jumps from 3:52 to 6:18 on the time frame when played.
Obviously the .mp4 file gets ‘futzed up’ at the 3:52 point as would be expected.

Any idea of how to ‘fix’ the .MKV process or what I am doing wrong would be appreciated.

BTW, I have used MakeMKv to prepare literally over a hundred DVDs. I understand the program a little but in terms of understanding the underlying technology I am a novice.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Hunter Killer is a Lionsgate disk; are you sure you ripped the correct title? Lionsgate will put multiple fake titles on their disks (hundreds on Bluray), assembled out of somewhat random scenes from the movie. Improper time stamps might be among their current feints.

If you chose the title to rip by the file size, you probably had a 1 in 4 chance of getting it right.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Bains999

Post by Bains999 »

Well, I certainly could use some education or pointers.

How to pick the 'right' title has been a mystery to me -- yes I picked the largest size item.

Any help would be useful.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Searching for "Hunter Killer" here comes up with several topics for the Bluray version, but nothing on the DVD. That usually means not many people bought the DVD, compared to the BD.

Well, actually, there's a topic that mentions having found the correct DVD title, but the person who said that didn't say WHICH title it was.

I'm going to change the subject of this topic, and hopefully someone will pick up on it.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
daraclark

Re: Hunter Killer/Anna DVD title?

Post by daraclark »

MakeMKV might rip the wrong title. Some Lionsgate discs adopt fake playlist protection method. For DVD ripping, I download MakeMKV, Handbrake, and WinX DVD Ripper Platinum. When one failed, I tried another.
Bains999

Post by Bains999 »

I have re-ordered the DVDs. Will take a while. When I have better information, I will post what I found.
Hunter Killer is a Lionsgate disk; are you sure you ripped the correct title? Lionsgate will put multiple fake titles on their disks (hundreds on Bluray), assembled out of somewhat random scenes from the movie. Improper time stamps might be among their current feints.
Knowing that Lionsgate uses these techniques is good information. The fact of doing it is actually fairly cleaver, especially with Bluray since there is enough room for more than one title and the process can probably be automated.
That said, if I stick the DVD in a player connected to a display device the 'correct' title will play. That must mean that there is some master record someplace that points to the 'real deal' video.

If somebody understands that technology and develops a plug-in I certainly would pay for it.
Bains999

Post by Bains999 »

The Anna DVD was from Summit entertainment.

It had six file options for ripping. Had to rip each and test it -- found the correct one. Five of the six were essentially purposeful junk.

PITA -- somebody who is familiar should develop a plugin to select the correct title. I would pay for it.

Thanks to those who helped and told me that this was a common practice.