Fox & Hound DVD bogged in a cell loop...

Please post here for issues related to DVD discs
Wagonfixin

Fox & Hound DVD bogged in a cell loop...

Post by Wagonfixin »

DVD is Disney's "The Fox and the Hound" (25th Anniversary).

Seems to bog down in a loop during cell detection....

Code: Select all

MakeMKV v1.6.3 linux(x64-release) started
Debug logging enabled, log will be saved as /tmp/MakeMKV_log.txt
Using direct disc access mode
Title #0 was added (21 cell(s), 1:22:24)
Title #1 has length of 1 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #2 has length of 1 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #3 has length of 1 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #5 was added (1 cell(s), 0:02:30)
Title #6 was added (1 cell(s), 0:06:38)
Title #7 was added (1 cell(s), 0:08:18)
Title #8 was added (1 cell(s), 0:08:08)
Title #9 was added (4 cell(s), 0:18:56)
Title #10 was added (10 cell(s), 0:10:16)
Title #11 was added (4 cell(s), 0:04:55)
Title #12 was added (7 cell(s), 0:05:21)
Title #13 has length of 70 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #14 has length of 72 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #15 has length of 89 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #16 has length of 32 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #17 has length of 38 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #18 has length of 68 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #19 has length of 80 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #20 has length of 95 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #21 has length of 52 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #22 has length of 20 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #23 has length of 54 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #24 has length of 60 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #25 has length of 57 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #26 has length of 62 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #27 has length of 85 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #28 has length of 59 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #29 has length of 82 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #30 has length of 60 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #31 has length of 86 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #32 has length of 54 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #33 has length of 74 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #34 has length of 7 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #35 has length of 8 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #36 has length of 16 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Jumped to cell 2 from cell 3 due to cell commands (structure protection?)
Loop detected. Possibly due to unknown structure protection.
CellWallk algorithm failed (structure protection is too tough?), trying CellTrim algorithm
Fake cells occupy 74% of the title - assuming fake title
CellWallk algorithm failed (structure protection is too tough?), trying CellTrim algorithm
Fake cells occupy 77% of the title - assuming fake title
Fake cells occupy 75% of the title - assuming fake title
Title #37/3 has length of 16 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #37/4 has length of 91 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #37/5 has length of 80 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #37/6 has length of 79 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #37/7 has length of 92 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #37/8 has length of 98 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #37/9 has length of 92 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #37/10 has length of 95 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #37/11 has length of 99 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #37/12 has length of 102 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #37/13 has length of 100 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #37/14 has length of 93 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Operation successfully completed
Saving 1 titles into directory /tmp/THE_FOX_AND_THE_HOUND
The above loop/skipping went on for well over 11mins (MakeMKV GUI seemed to estimate this time/duration correctly) with Cell-7 spinning back-n-forth between VOBU 6195 & 12749, then same cell; between VOBU 27745 & 34480, and lastly; same cell between VOBU 52043 & 58636.

Any idea if this behaviour is normal ? (of all the dvd's archived by MakeMKV, this is the only one to spin in circles like this). The MKV seems to be fine.

I can post VTS/IFO's if it'll help...
Attachments
MakeMKV_log.txt
MakeMKV logfile for "The Fox and the Hound" DVD
(7.04 KiB) Downloaded 498 times
Wagonfixin

Re: Fox & Hound DVD bogged in a cell loop...

Post by Wagonfixin »

Tried this same DVD/drive combination with the current DVDFab, "structure recognition" took ~1min...
setarip_old

Post by setarip_old »

Hi!
The MKV seems to be fine.
This is really all that counts; >}
The above loop/skipping went on for well over 11mins
Tried this same DVD/drive combination with the current DVDFab, "structure recognition" took ~1min...
You're comparing the proverbial apples and oranges - How long did it take DVDFab to do the entire rip, conversion to .MKV (if it has that capability), and write to hard drive? How long did it take MakeMKV to do the same complete procedures?

Wagonfixin

Post by Wagonfixin »

Indeed a working MKV is the measure of success !! I thought a little data could improve MakeMKV's "detection algorithm".
You're comparing the proverbial apples and oranges -
Not really, both applications traverse thru similar DVD content/encoding to determine how to unwind the frames/data into un-encoded streams.

Gimme a coupla mins, and I'll have some real duration data to compare.
Wagonfixin

Post by Wagonfixin »

Times were measured on the same machine/HDD/DVD/DVD-drive/DVD-data (note that DVDFab may actually be faster in a native MS Windows session as the DVDFab times were collected under Linux's WINE).

Time was collected for each application in 2 distinct stages:
1) Initial DVD analysis
2) DVD data copy

MakeMKV v2.63:

00:00 - Detection start
11:24 - Detection complete; ready to write data
-------
11:24 - MakeMKV's time to complete "detection/analysis"

00:00 - Start of data copy
08:42 - Data copy to HDD completed
-------
08:42 - MakeMKV's time to complete "data copy"
20:06 - MakeMKV's total time to transfer title data to DVD

DVDFab v8.0.6.6

00:00 - Detection start
00:51 - Detection complete; ready to write data
-------
00:51 - DVDFab's time to complete "detection/analysis"

00:00 - Start of data copy
08:36 - Data copy to HDD completed
-------
08:36 - DVDFab's time to complete "data copy"
09:27 - DVDFab's total time to transfer title data to DVD

On this particular DVD, with this "detection problem", MakeMKV took more than twice as long (10:39) as DVDFab for the overall copy. As mentioned earlier, MakeMKV's additional time is being "wasted" in the initial DVD detection stage, with the actual copying of the data being nearly identical between the two applications.

Of interest is the time it took to get to the message "Loop detected. Possibly due to unknown structure protection." ~4mins additional (each time CellWalk failed). If the "CellWalk algorithm failed" state is detected (or timed-out sooner) before the "CellTrim algorithm" is used perhaps this "detection" stage would be "quicker"...

Hope this helps.
setarip_old

Post by setarip_old »

Interesting results.

Just to be certain (I'm not that familiar with all of DVDFab's current capabilities) - Do these times include converting to and creating an .MKV file under both DVDFab and MakeMKV?

Wagonfixin

Post by Wagonfixin »

MKV is not a "conversion", it is a container type (like AVI MP4 etc). In terms of the supplied metric measures for this particular DVD, no conversions were performed.

DVDFab is a "more capable" application in that it provides a wide range of copy/re-encode/format-conversion/transfer options (none of which I need want/need).

The reason I've bought MakeMKV is for two reasons:
1) The native application/support for Linux (my OS of choice),
2) The license (one-time buy - with support).

DVDFab is only available on windows (tho it does run un-supported on WINE), and it's license scheme is just nuts (2 year subscription) - I first started with DVDFab, I couldn't figure out what to buy tho - the features and pricing all over the place (I couldn't figure out what all their products actually do !!).

MakeMKV is simple, fast, portable (Linux/OSX/Windows). You buy it, you "own" it. You go to this forum for support. It's what software should be. I bought it 'cause it's been in beta forever (FREE !!), this indicates to me that the developer is not just turning a quick buck by dumping crappy/buggy junk out for a few quick bucks.

For the record MakeMKV is *NOT* slower than DVDFab - they are largely on par - It's just that on THIS particular DVD, DVDFab's encryption detection/analysis algorithm is shown to be more mature/capable - hence my offer to help collect data that may contribute to improving MakeMKV...

Happy New Year !!
setarip_old

Post by setarip_old »

I couldn't figure out what all their products actually do !
You are far from alone. After close to 10 years (perhaps more) of observing "fengtao" in action, I still smile when I think of how many different products he/she has simultaneously had on the market with "DVDFab" as part of their names - and to compound matters, the "DVDFab" name was "appropriated from a delightfully compact freeware program (You can still find it at "mrbass.org") ;>}

On the other side of the coin, "fengtao" has maintained "DVDFabHD" as freeware for several years now.

mike admin

Post by mike admin »

Please send IFO files for analysis, 11 minutes is too much especially if program read the same data over and over.
Wagonfixin

Post by Wagonfixin »

Most interesting, I had no idea that DVDFab had such a humble and open existence. I always thought the name was a little daft too... Regardless of the side of the coin, the product is obtuse and confusing to me !! Glad I went with the simple and aptly named MakeMKV !!

I'll get those IFO's tomorrow evening - how/where do you need them posted ?
crowfax

Post by crowfax »

Wagonfixin wrote:I'll get those IFO's tomorrow evening - how/where do you need them posted ?
Like so: http://www.makemkv.com/faq/item/8
Home Theater PC: Assassin HTPC, XBMCbuntu 12.0 (Frodo), Intel i5 3570k 3.4 GHz Ivy Bridge w/ HD 4000, LG BD-ROM
Playback Devices: Mede8er MED600X3D, MyGica EnjoyTV 120, Xtreamer SideWinder 3, Crystal Acoustics MediaMatchBox
Wagonfixin

Post by Wagonfixin »

Thanks !! e-mailed per instructions.

Please lemme know if there is anything else that'll help...