Titleset/Calculated BUP offset warnings with xreveal rips

Please post here for issues related to DVD discs
mattias83

Titleset/Calculated BUP offset warnings with xreveal rips

Post by mattias83 »

I'm trying out the free software xreveal to make backups of my DVDs as many are very very old. It has the same functionality as anydvd or dvdfab passkey (you need to provide a keydb) , with options for both "rip to hard disk" and "rip to image". The first disc is an older DVD with 3 TV episodes. The 2nd disc is an old movie DVD.

I wanted to check the resulting rips with makemkv to see if they are good rips (without issues) as they will be my backups if my original discs fail. I realize I can rip the discs to mkv directly using makemkv, but the point is to see if these backups are valid and okay.

So running makemkv on the TV episodes backup folder, I get these warnings when opening the folder:

Calculated BUP offset for VTS #0 does not match one in IFO header.
Titleset start sector mismatch for titleset 1 : 55079 != 55078
Titleset start sector mismatch for titleset 2 : 1893899 != 1893898
Titleset start sector mismatch for titleset 3 : 2741339 != 2741338

The movie disc folder gives me these warnings:

Calculated BUP offset for VTS #1 does not match one in IFO header.
Titleset start sector mismatch for titleset 1 : 3075 != 3074

When I run makemkv on the iso images instead, I get this when opening:

Notice there's no "Titleset start sector mismatches", just the Calculated BUP offset message. I get "Titleset start sector mismatches" only if I use xreveal to rip to hard disk, not to iso.

I also get the "Calculated BUP offset" message if I open the ACTUAL DISC with makemkv with xreveal running in the tray, but not ripping.

If I run makemkv directly off the disc with xreveal closed, makemkv gives no messages or warnings.

They all extract successfully to makemkv despite these warnings, no fails.

So are these real warnings to be concerned about, or are these warnings just due to protections being removed by xreveal?

These are just retail DVDs. I haven't tested with blu-rays yet. Again I understand in this case xreveal isn't necessary as I have the actual discs, but if my discs fail, these backups are all I will have, so I want to make sure the backups are okay. Supposedly DVDfab introduces possible corruption according to makmkv, which is why I hoped xreveal would be a better DVD backup solution.
mattias83

Re: Titleset/Calculated BUP offset warnings with xreveal rips

Post by mattias83 »

I also get loads of "assuming fake title" warnings when opening either an iso or folder created by xreveal, or when opening an original disc directly, with xreveal in the system tray.

When opening a disc directly without xreveal running in the system tray, I get no "fake title" warnings. This is with several different DVDs from different sets (Benny Hill, Lost in Space widescreen original series).

I'm trying to figure out why xreveal would be triggering makemkv to pop up all these warnings.
Ezatoka

Post by Ezatoka »

With newer versions of MakeMKV you can create a backup of a DVD. It will be a decrypted ISO file keeping the DVD file structure. This might solve your problem of creating backups of the DVD.
mattias83

Post by mattias83 »

Wow, I had no idea you could finally do this. Absolutely this would solve my problem. What's the method of doing this? Is there a thread that discusses this?

I'm still curious why I'm getting these warnings with my xreveal backups, but maybe I won't need to worry about it if I can make ISOs with makemkv now. Maybe makemkv always gives those warnings with DVDs ripped with anydvd, xreveal, etc.?
Ezatoka

Post by Ezatoka »

If you have the DVD inserted, you just click on the backup button on the main window (do not press on the big "button" beneath the Type/Label/Protection information):
(https://i.imgur.com/QrjaiPY.png if the picture doesn't load)