Region Setting

Please post here for issues related to DVD discs
Joe_Dee_Foster

Region Setting

Post by Joe_Dee_Foster »

Why is it when I back-up a TV Show to a video files, some discs rip perfectly and the odd disc involved gets stuck where the software is trying to work around due to the region code not matching? How can the region code not match when the disc with the problem is under the same region as the other discs in the same TV Show?
dcoke22

Re: Region Setting

Post by dcoke22 »

If your optical drive is LibreDrive enabled it should not care what the region of the DVD is.

That said, it has been my experience that there are a lot of weird interactions between various discs and optical drives. In writing this very response, I stuck a DVD into my main optical drive and ran MakeMKV. I was trying to find out if the first screen of MakeMKV displayed the DVD region code information (it doesn't seem to). My optical drive couldn't read the disc and finish the initial scan. I restarted MakeMKV and put the disc into one of my other optical drives. It read the disc just fine.

In the end, i can't say what went wrong in my case or in your case. Weird interactions like this are why I have more than one optical drive.

If you believe the region code of the disc matches the region code of your optical drive and you can reliably reproduce the error you describe, then perhaps there is a bug in MakeMKV.