DVD ISO with MakeMKV

Please post here for issues related to DVD discs
Ripman

DVD ISO with MakeMKV

Post by Ripman »

It’s been awhile - still really great sw.

Win10
MakeMKV 1.17.4

If I use MakeMKV to create a decrypted ISO of a DVD, can I mount the resultant ISO in Win10 so I can pull out the VOB files?

The DVD I am working with doesn’t have subtitles (VobSub) but does have embedded CCs and I’d like to extract those with CCExtractor or something. Thanks.
Last edited by Ripman on Mon Jul 17, 2023 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
d00zah

Re: DVD ISO with MakeMKV

Post by d00zah »

Ripman wrote:
Mon Jul 17, 2023 1:35 pm
It’s been awhile - still really great sw.

Win10
MakeMKC 1.17.4

If I use MakeMKV to create a decrypted ISO of a DVD, can I mount the resultant ISO in Win10 so I can pull out the VOB files?

The DVD I am working with doesn’t have subtitles (VobSub) but does have embedded CCs and I’d like to extract those with CCExtractor or something. Thanks.
Might be easier?

https://www.opensubtitles.org/en/search/subs
Ripman

Post by Ripman »

Hi. Thanks a lot for the tip. I checked.

This one’s pretty obscure tbh - 70s mini series. Washington behind closed doors.
d00zah

Post by d00zah »

CCExtractor (included w/ MakeMKV) can be hit, or miss, but if it succeeds & the goal is discrete sub files, I'd:

- create .mkvs of each episode
- use gMKVExtractGUI, a simple front-end for MKVToolNix to extract discrete sub files.

Both are worthwhile tools to have, just in case...
Last edited by d00zah on Mon Jul 17, 2023 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ripman

Post by Ripman »

Ah new CC since 1.14 I see - very cool. I’ll try and let you know. I’ll probably use mkvextract and mkvinfo to get the track id. Thanks again.
Ripman

Post by Ripman »

I set the path in the preferences to the MakeMKV install dir. No CCs on this disc.

Thanks again.

I’ll post at the end of the CC thread I see. If you’re using the MKVToolnix GUI or mkvextract or mkvmerge to mux CCs that have been converted to srt => be sure to use the “engage keep whitespace” option to preserve fixed-width text subs. I asked Mosu to change that about 6 months ago specifically for CCs. First stable version the option is in is mkvtoolnix-64-bit-74.0.0.7z.