Issues with copy protected DVDs

Please post here for issues related to DVD discs
jcawthorne

Issues with copy protected DVDs

Post by jcawthorne »

I've been ripping a TV Series and was able to get through the first 3 seasons with no issues. Starting on the 4th season, the DVDs started showing the "Copy Protected" label on the DVDs and MakeMKV is not able to load the DVDs. It essentially freezes while trying to open the DVD. I've updated to the latest version of Mac and downloaded the latest version of MakeMKV. I haven't had this happen before and have ripped a lot of DVD/Blu Rays with no problems at all. Any ideas on what could cause this issue?

Here is what appears on the log screen when it freezes.

MakeMKV v1.17.5 darwin(x64-release) started
Optical drive "BD-ROM HL-DT-ST DVDRWBD CA10N A110 K0NA6364106d" opened in OS access mode.
udf: udf_get_node: bad allocation extension size in udf_node
Using direct disc access mode
Calculated BUP offset for VTS #0 does not match one in IFO header.
Calculated BUP offset for VTS #3 does not match one in IFO header.
Calculated BUP offset for VTS #4 does not match one in IFO header.
Calculated BUP offset for VTS #5 does not match one in IFO header.
Calculated BUP offset for VTS #6 does not match one in IFO header.
Calculated BUP offset for VTS #7 does not match one in IFO header.
Calculated BUP offset for VTS #8 does not match one in IFO header.
Calculated BUP offset for VTS #9 does not match one in IFO header.
udf: udf_get_node: bad allocation extension size in udf_node
Calculated BUP offset for VTS #10 does not match one in IFO header.
hawaean

Re: Issues with copy protected DVDs

Post by hawaean »

I have the same issue. In fact, I also was able to go through 3 seasons without an issue.

I know it's not a hardware or software issue bc I can go back to season 3 and it reads the discs fine. I'd love to hear what the pros have to say on this one.
jcawthorne

Post by jcawthorne »

Was able to get around the issue with using CellTrim. Every other option didn't work, however CellTrim seems to have done the trick.
hawaean

Post by hawaean »

If VLC can read the disc, you can also extract the show from there.

1. Open the DVD in VLC. It's the open option under the "Disc" tab.
2. DVD data tracks don't correspond to episodes, so you'll want to preview the various tracks first.
3. Find the track # that corresponds to the episode you want to archive and then select "stream output".
4. Check the setting to make sure you're saving it to a location with enough space.
5. Then, click Open to save the file.

VLC may pull multiple tracks from the DVD. While this sounds great, this workaround creates a single file per run, regardless of how many episodes it captures. So you may end up with e07-e10 in the rip file. If your compressor has a way to crop the video, then the next steps are all within the same program.

6. Open the raw file and take note of the start and end times of each episode.
7. Then, you'll want to crop the file to the target episode. If your compressor can do this, then this step can be done with the next step. Do this for each track you're trying to save.
8. Import the file (or feed) into your favorite compressor. Like most people, I use Handbrake. The setting you want to change is the time range for the output file. Normally, the range is by chapters, but you can change the range to seconds. Reference the times from #5.
dmitche3

Post by dmitche3 »

I missed something. What TV series are you trying to rip? It only says "a tv series" but one of the responses says "same thing here" but I don't see the name of the TV series.

Thanks. Sorry if I'm bat blind or something.