Problem opening disk or iso file. slow scan

Please post here for issues related to DVD discs
Jim1138

Problem opening disk or iso file. slow scan

Post by Jim1138 »

I have a problem opening a Sherlock Holmes disk (Grenada TV, MPI, 1983). I can successfully read and make an ISO file using dvddecryptor or with dvdshrink and imgburn, but makemkv will not successfully read the disk or the ISO file.

It does not generate an error message, but it takes forever to scan the movie (CSS?) files. The scan starts out normally, but slows to a crawl. The disk is not encrypted, but it may have an encryption flag set.

I have used dvdshrink to extract just the movie files and remaster the ISO, but this doesn't help.
dcoke22

Re: Problem opening disk or iso file. slow scan

Post by dcoke22 »

MakeMKV has different DVD Opening Modes. Maybe one of those will work?
Jim1138

Post by Jim1138 »

I have not solved the Makemkv problem, but I have worked around it. dvdshrink will make an iso file from the disk. There is something wrong with the iso file, because VLC will not play it. But Handbrake will make a 720p MKV file that works. It does not offer closed captions, but it saves burned in captions, which is okay for me.

MakeMkv is much faster and more convenient. It also handles closed captions well.

I've converted about 300 disks, and this is the only weird one. I have several damaged or defective disks that cannot be copied, but this is the only one that can be copied to iso and still cause trouble.
Jim1138

Post by Jim1138 »

There seems to be two unrelated problems. Ii have a couple of discs that are damaged and uncopyable. I also seem to have a few with copy protection that mimics crc errors. The clue is the errors appear at the 51 percent point in these discs.