A lot of "new" DVDs/BDs come damaged?

Please post here for issues related to DVD discs
RobAinscough

A lot of "new" DVDs/BDs come damaged?

Post by RobAinscough »

I've had a large number of "new" (purchased new in wrappers/cases) of DVDs and BDs that have come with long scratches and damaged surface area. These are brand new out of the container.

Now that BestBuy is no longer selling DVDs/BDs (easy to return if bad), I have to order everything online via different sources. Right now, I'm at about 20% failure rate where at least one DVD/BD will have so much damage I can't use it either in a home player or my PC players for conversion. So of these come from the UK and some from the US.

What happened to quality control? I get that DVD/BDs are coming to a manufacturing end of life, but why would that impact quality control?

It's frustrating because returning a DVD/BD to the UK costs more than it's worth.

Rob.
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan
AndrewB

Re: A lot of "new" DVDs/BDs come damaged?

Post by AndrewB »

I have bought a lot of DVDs/BDs recently that are brand new and sealed, and the only time I've had discs arrived damaged have been when the discs have come out of the spindle in the case during transit. I’ve had more damaged cases than discs.

When I've purchased a DVD from Amazon US that has arrived damaged, they've just sent me a replacement without the need to return the original.
RobAinscough

Post by RobAinscough »

Those DVD/BD cases are probably the worse design possible for transportation and storage. On arrival I immediately transfer the BD/DVD to a protective sleeve and place in large case (slotted hangers) that holds about 1000 per case. I toss the case since all the data and cover art etc. is present in Plex when matched (no point in retaining the case).

I wasn't aware Amazon would just send a replacement without me having to go thru the RMA process?

Cheers, Rob.
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan
AndrewB

Post by AndrewB »

RobAinscough wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2024 4:20 pm
I wasn't aware Amazon would just send a replacement without me having to go thru the RMA process?
If using the live chat feature to talk to an advisor, they’ve done a replacement order for me without the need to return the original.

As for the cases, I found that the older Amaray made cases were far more durable than the cases newer releases come in.