Stargate Atlantis Season 1 disc 1 voice volume is so low, other audio is normal.

Please post here for issues related to DVD discs
bigollunchbox

Stargate Atlantis Season 1 disc 1 voice volume is so low, other audio is normal.

Post by bigollunchbox »

I am having an issues with the voice volume being way to low, on Stargate Atlantis season 1 disc 1, while all the other audio is normal. I have tried other audio styles Flac and default. I have also tried using several media players but they all have the same issue. I am very new to this, not sure if I am just missing something or if there is an issue with the process I am doing. Thank you!
pneumatic

Re: Stargate Atlantis Season 1 disc 1 voice volume is so low, other audio is normal.

Post by pneumatic »

MakeMKV doesn't alter any of the video or audio streams, it just moves them into an mkv file. So I'm quite confident MakeMKV is not the culprit.

My guess at what is happening: if the audio track in question is Dolby AC3 then it might have DRC (dynamic range compression) metadata inside it which tells the player how much to boost the volume by. Maybe your DVD player is set to obey DRC metadata, while the other PC media player you're using just ignores the DRC metadata. If you look around in the settings you might find a way of enabling it.
bigollunchbox

Re: Stargate Atlantis Season 1 disc 1 voice volume is so low, other audio is normal.

Post by bigollunchbox »

pneumatic wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2024 3:23 am
MakeMKV doesn't alter any of the video or audio streams, it just moves them into an mkv file. So I'm quite confident MakeMKV is not the culprit.

My guess at what is happening: if the audio track in question is Dolby AC3 then it might have DRC (dynamic range compression) metadata inside it which tells the player how much to boost the volume by. Maybe your DVD player is set to obey DRC metadata, while the other PC media player you're using just ignores the DRC metadata. If you look around in the settings you might find a way of enabling it.
Thank you very much for the info! You are spot on, it was my player causing the issue.