Can't open specific DVD but plays fine in VLC

Please post here for issues related to DVD discs
Lxtte

Can't open specific DVD but plays fine in VLC

Post by Lxtte »

I've been using the beta for a few days to see if it was worth buying, and make sure it can actually do what it says. I've ripped a few discs (All DVD) without issue, but when I tried a specific disc, the entire program hangs when trying to open it. There doesn't seem to be anything special about the disc that will make MakeMKV struggle, and my reader still works with a pile of others, so I don't really know what is happening. I've tried a different DVD reader, tried on a different OS, and used a different PC. Nothing I do seems to work. There are no errors from the program, but the drive does make a louder than usual clicking sound when reading.

As I've mention, I've tried different options. I usually run on Arch Linux and use the Flatpak Beta, but I've tried on windows to the same issues. I am able to play the disc fine in VLC, and I can copy the contents to my drive in Dolphin, but MakeMKV just cannot seem to open it. Using the copied files, I can do a manual conversion (File -> Open DVD files manually) and make an MKV there, but that is very tedious and slow. VLC's Convert/Save feature also causing freezing and errors.
dcoke22

Re: Can't open specific DVD but plays fine in VLC

Post by dcoke22 »

There are different DVD Opening Modes you can try.
Lxtte

Re: Can't open specific DVD but plays fine in VLC

Post by Lxtte »

I've tried all opening modes. Nothing seems to be working.