DVD errors on two discs. Second layer of a dual-layer disc inaccessible?

Please post here for issues related to DVD discs
maximumzero

DVD errors on two discs. Second layer of a dual-layer disc inaccessible?

Post by maximumzero »

Hey MakeMKV crew and fans alike, let me throw this at y'all at and get your opinion.

First up we have disc one of season eight of The Simpsons. Despite the disc appearing to be in good shape (I bought it personally at release) with minor, if any scratches, MakeMKV seems to have issue seeing the second layer of the disc, and thus half of the episodes. I've tried MakeMKV on a Mac and PC with similar results, and I've tried both manual mode and ripping MKVs from the disc backed up to a local drive. The disc will load on a standalone Blu-Ray. player connected to the TV and bring me to the menu, but selecting any of the second half of episodes (presumably on the second layer) causes the player to outright "crash" and kick me back to the player's interface. I'm wondering if maybe I'm just on the losing end of disc rot on this one.

Second we have disc one of a the 2006 "Tenth Anniversary" complete series release for The Powerpuff Girls. Similar to the above situation, the disc is in fairly good shape, but MakeMKV on two platforms has issues and can't seem to read the second half of the episodes on the disc, presumably on the second layer. In addition, while the above "Simpsons" DVD will at least get me to a main menu on a standalone player, this disc seems to not load whatsoever.

Oh and my Blu-Ray drive connected to my PC/Mac makes some nasty grinding noises while trying to access the data on the disc.
dcoke22

Re: DVD errors on two discs. Second layer of a dual-layer disc inaccessible?

Post by dcoke22 »

There are different DVD Opening Modes you can try.

Also, some recent posts on the forum suggest that some troublesome DVDs seem to work better on version 1.16.7 of MakeMKV. https://www.makemkv.com/download/old/
pneumatic

Re: DVD errors on two discs. Second layer of a dual-layer disc inaccessible?

Post by pneumatic »

Yeah I'd say give 1.16.7 a go, failing that try DVD Decrypter in IFO mode to attempt individually extracting the specific title(s) giving trouble, failing that try other DVD drives cause some of your comments sound like the disc(s) may be on their way out unless they just needs a clean (not that it's visibly dirty but some invisible residue)