Can MakeMKV save only selected chapter(s) to the MKV output?

Please post here for issues related to DVD discs
breid

Can MakeMKV save only selected chapter(s) to the MKV output?

Post by breid »

MakeMKV is working well to save selected TITLE(s) to the MKV output, but I need to send a sample MKV file to someone for analysis, and the whole title is too large to send electronically. Is it possible to instruct MakeMKV to save only a portion of the title (with selected video, audio, and subtitles) instead of the entire title? If so, it would then hopefully be small enough to upload electronically. I have searched for tools to extract only a portion of the full MKV, and though I have found discussions on the topic, I am unable to make use of the information to do what I want. I have seen suggestions to use MkvExtract, but the result I got is a bunch of files (chapter, subtitle, audio, video, etc.) for the ENTIRE TITLE, and I don't have a clue how to merge them back together so that the result contains only a singe chapter (or better still, a segment that is even smaller than the smallest chapter). Can someone please advise me of tools and procedures that would allow me to extract a discrete segment (chapter, time interval, etc.) from the Blu-Ray, and produce a single MKV file just like the one MakeMKV produces?

Thanks very much for any help,
Bruce
Navvie

Re: Can MakeMKV save only selected chapter(s) to the MKV out

Post by Navvie »

You can use Handbrake for this, it does mean reencoding it, but if you pick one of the more basic presets it will output your specified chapter quite quickly.
Linux / Windows 10
Asus BW-16D1HT 3.10MK x2
Asus BC-12D2HT 3.11MK
LG BH16NS40 flashed to WH16NS60 1.03
LG GGC-H20L 1.03
Pioneer BDR-205 GENE
robpdotcom

Post by robpdotcom »

There is a program called MKVSplit, which will split by chapters, but you'd probably be better off just using MKVMerge. In MKVMerge, under the "Global" tab, there are options for splitting files by size or duration. That seems to be what you really want.

Just use MakeMKV to rip the movie, then use MKVMerge to split it into smaller parts. MKVMerge will probably create quite a few files (it's going to split the ENTIRE movie), but you can abort it before it finishes, and just use one of the small files it creates.
breid

Post by breid »

My thanks to everyone for your helpful suggestions.

I have been able to create a smallish excerpt from the original MKV title, and I plan to use it to demonstrate my media player's inability to handle PGS subtitles, perhaps leading to a firmware fix.