Unable to rip DVDs of different regions?

Please post here for issues related to DVD discs
steve1608

Unable to rip DVDs of different regions?

Post by steve1608 »

Hi, I'm in a region 2 country and I tried to rip a region 1 disc but received the following error message when trying to open the disc:
Using direct disc access mode
Title #1 was added (12 cell(s), 1:48:59)
Drive BD-ROM MATSHITA BD-CMB UJ167 1.00 has RPC protection that can not be bypassed. Change drive region or update drive firmware from http://tdb.rpc1.org. Errors likely to follow.
Error 'Scsi error - ILLEGAL REQUEST:MEDIA REGION CODE IS MISMATCHED TO LOGICAL UNIT REGION' occurred while reading '/VIDEO_TS/VTS_01_1.VOB' at offset '2048'
Error 'Scsi error - ILLEGAL REQUEST:MEDIA REGION CODE IS MISMATCHED TO LOGICAL UNIT REGION' occurred while reading '/VIDEO_TS/VTS_01_1.VOB' at offset '2048'
Failed to open disc
The disc is The Uninvited Guest. I also tried another region 1, Buffy Season 1, Disc 1, and received the same message. I was under the impression MakeMKV would bypass region coding, am I missing something? I'm using v1.8.5.

Thanks for any help you can give me.
mike admin

Re: Unable to rip DVDs of different regions?

Post by mike admin »

steve1608 wrote:
Using direct disc access mode
Title #1 was added (12 cell(s), 1:48:59)
Drive BD-ROM MATSHITA BD-CMB UJ167 1.00 has RPC protection that can not be bypassed. Change drive region or update drive firmware from http://tdb.rpc1.org. Errors likely to follow.
I was under the impression MakeMKV would bypass region coding, am I missing something?
There is a tiny subset of DVD drives that enforce the region coding on hardware level - they don't even allow the data to be read if region is mismatched. You are "lucky" to have such drive. Your only option is to find a patched firmware for your drive, just follow the link in the error message.
steve1608

Post by steve1608 »

Thank you. Unfortunately my drive is not listed on that page and after reading through their forums a bit, it seems Matshita is a brand that is a big problem for region free firmware updates :(

Anyway I plan on building a new PC as a media centre soon, so I'll have to make sure I don't get a Matshita drive for it and rip any other region discs on that machine.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

And, just so you know, once you have a less-picky drive, MakeMKV works fine across regions. Two of my DVDs and all of my BD drives have yet to have their region chosen. I get an error message when they're first accessed about the region mis-match, but then everything just works.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
steve1608

Post by steve1608 »

Woodstock wrote:And, just so you know, once you have a less-picky drive, MakeMKV works fine across regions. Two of my DVDs and all of my BD drives have yet to have their region chosen. I get an error message when they're first accessed about the region mis-match, but then everything just works.
Good to know. Can I ask what make BD drives you have?
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

All three of my BD drives are from LG. The last two are:

LG Electronics 14x Internal BDXL Blu-Ray Burner Rewriter WH14NS40

There are several places you can buy them. I got mine through Amazon. When reading DVDs, I've seen better than 10x speeds, and 6x on BDs.
dtdyson

Post by dtdyson »

My DVD drive is Region 1 as are the movies I'm trying to make back-up copies of - so, as far as I can tell, I should not be getting the region mismatch error - any suggestions?
dtdyson

Post by dtdyson »

Sorry - wanted to show my error message too - thanks.

Drive DVD+R-DL MATSHITA DVD-RAM UJ8C0 1.00 has RPC protection that can not be bypassed. Change drive region or update drive firmware from http://tdb.rpc1.org. Errors likely to follow.
Error 'Scsi error - ILLEGAL REQUEST:MEDIA REGION CODE IS MISMATCHED TO LOGICAL UNIT REGION' occurred while reading '/VIDEO_TS/VTS_22_1.VOB' at offset '2048'
Error 'Scsi error - ILLEGAL REQUEST:MEDIA REGION CODE IS MISMATCHED TO LOGICAL UNIT REGION' occurred while reading '/VIDEO_TS/VTS_22_1.VOB' at offset '2048'
Failed to open disc
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

I have seen region mis-match messages on scratched "in region" disks, but MakeMKV usually powers through that.
cafox2003

Post by cafox2003 »

I know this is late, but if you're receiving this error and your dvds are from only a single region, just change your dvd drive's region in Device Manager. Apparently the drive that I bought off Amazon years ago was set to Region 2 even though I live in the US, and I never knew as it always worked fine when ripping CDs.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

"late" as in 10 years late, but it is a good reminder for people with OLD drives. Some of which have appeared recently as people think UHD should be readable in drives that are 5+ years older than the standard...
zamyle

Post by zamyle »

Woodstock wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:18 pm
And, just so you know, once you have a less-picky drive, MakeMKV works fine across regions. Two of my DVDs and all of my BD drives have yet to have their region chosen. I get an error message when they're first accessed about the region mis-match, but then everything just works.
Thanks for the great tip! I have a Matshita BR drive that was set to Region 2 I bought from Amazon. I thought I was going to have to buy a new drive, but this tip fixed it!
pneumatic

Post by pneumatic »

Every DVD drive I've ever had including more recently the 2 USB externals and 2 SATA internals (Asus and LiteOn) have firmware region lock, and you only get a limited number of region changes in the Windows device options, so changing the region from one DVD disc to another is not a practical option in the long run.

I thought this was standard for all drives? Going by some of the comments it's not :shock:

Thankfully both MakeMKV and DVDDecrypter can workaround region restrictions, so it's a non issue. Still, I would like to be able to patch the firmware to remove the region restriction in case I get several trouble discs in future, so if anyone knows how to do that please advise. I'm aware of some old site with a bunch of firmware flashing tools and firmware image, but that appears to be out of date and no longer relevant to the current models.
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

pneumatic wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2024 1:02 am
Every DVD drive I've ever had including more recently the 2 USB externals and 2 SATA internals (Asus and LiteOn) have firmware region lock, and you only get a limited number of region changes in the Windows device options, so changing the region from one DVD disc to another is not a practical option in the long run.

I thought this was standard for all drives? Going by some of the comments it's not :shock:

Thankfully both MakeMKV and DVDDecrypter can workaround region restrictions, so it's a non issue. Still, I would like to be able to patch the firmware to remove the region restriction in case I get several trouble discs in future, so if anyone knows how to do that please advise. I'm aware of some old site with a bunch of firmware flashing tools and firmware image, but that appears to be out of date and no longer relevant to the current models.
Not an option as far as I am aware. No real need anyway, as all decent ripping software removes region coding.
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com
pneumatic

Post by pneumatic »

MartyMcNuts wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2024 1:13 am
Not an option as far as I am aware. No real need anyway, as all decent ripping software removes region coding.
Good to know, thanks.