Seamless Branching Audio Sync Problem (Cars 2)

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
BigPines

Seamless Branching Audio Sync Problem (Cars 2)

Post by BigPines »

I am using 1.6.16 on OS X 10.7.2. When I rip Cars 2 (which has a ton of seamless branching) the audio slowly gets out of sync as the film progresses. It is off by a quite noticeable amount near the end.

I verified that simply making a back-up of the disc with MakeMKV, then using eac3to to demux the audio/video and finally mix them back together with tsMuxer, the audio sync issues disappear. Of course, the disc plays fine on my BD player in my home theater. eac3to reports a ton of overlapping and possibly what looks like gaps. I think this is the problem with this title.

As I recall, I had a similar issue with Aliens - which also had seamless branching to a lesser degree. At the time, I didn't make the connection. I am going to have to go back to that title and see if that is the case.

Is this a known problem? Am I better off using eac3to on seamless branching titles?

Mike
ignite

Re: Seamless Branching Audio Sync Problem (Cars 2)

Post by ignite »

I've been having the same issue with the blu rays I've been backing up using make Mkv but have to say I have no idea what branching Audio streams are.

Surely other people have had the same issue?

Sorry I can't help I'm trying to find a solution myself. All my DVDs copied fine it's a real pain I can't copy my blu rays
BigPines

Post by BigPines »

Seamless branching is an efficient way of storing multiple versions of a film on the same BD disc. On a scene by scene basis, the content creator can decide to add, remove or substitute different scenes to create different versions of the film. For example, this may be done if there is a regular and extended version on the same disc (as in the case of Aliens). Disney uses it a lot for multiple languages so all text appearing on the screen gets substituted for the correct language of the viewer.

I believe when two scenes get put together using this method, there are often slight overlaps or gaps. This can cause problems if the film is not reconstructed correctly in the ripping software. I also believe there is a particular problem with Cars 2 because it was especially problematic for me. I am curious to hear other seamless branching/Cars 2 experience so we can verify the apparent bug and get it fixed if possible.

Mike
setarip_old

Post by setarip_old »

@Big Pines

Hi!
When I rip Cars 2 (which has a ton of seamless branching) the audio slowly gets out of sync as the film progresses. It is off by a quite noticeable amount near the end.

Is this initial rip attempt a Full Disc Blu-ray copy or a "movie only" .MKV? (I encountered no such problem making a Full Disc backup on a PC)

BigPines

Post by BigPines »

setarip_old wrote:Is this initial rip attempt a Full Disc Blu-ray copy or a "movie only" .MKV? (I encountered no such problem making a Full Disc backup on a PC)
The problem only occurs when I rip the movie only to mkv. The full back-up, works just fine and I was able to user eac3to to get my movie ripped correctly from that back-up.

Mike
ignite

Post by ignite »

apologies but is there a eac3to for dummies guide somewhere

I like Makemkv cos it?s simple...bit like me!

Actually I?ve had a look in the forum and basically there?s no way I?d be able to master whats needed, looks like blu rays are a no go for me...where?s that bottle of single malt I was saving!!!

plus I?m on mac...which sort of limits the software I can use.

actually the more I think about this the more it urks me as the blu rays look so good and now looking at my dvds is a bit like whatching films in the fog!
setarip_old

Post by setarip_old »

@ignite

Hi!
now looking at my dvds is a bit like whatching films in the fog!
Naah - just get yourself a good quality (low priced, to boot) UPCONVERTING standalone DVD player - Toshiba's entire line is excellent...

ignite

Post by ignite »

Interesting idea only thing is will they work the same way my wdtv does? As in can I just hook up my USB drives?

Still gutted about the blu rays mind you!

I guess I'll just have to hope that make Mkv will one day be able to sort this! And watch my BR's the old fashioned way!

Actually it's not been a good week after reading all the hastle people have been having using 2011 mac minis hdmi out for audio has ment I've had to bin that plan too..

Great forum tho I'd be out of pocket quite bit without the help here!
LordNimon

Post by LordNimon »

I just ripped Cars 2 Blu-ray, and I don't see any audio sync problem with the MKV. Can you give me a specific example of the problem?
BigPines

Post by BigPines »

ignite wrote:apologies but is there a eac3to for dummies guide somewhere

Actually I?ve had a look in the forum and basically there?s no way I?d be able to master whats needed, looks like blu rays are a no go for me...where?s that bottle of single malt I was saving!!!

actually the more I think about this the more it urks me as the blu rays look so good and now looking at my dvds is a bit like whatching films in the fog!
Sorry but I don't know of an eac3to for dummies. It is a bit on the geeky side but it is a VERY powerful tool. I'm on a Mac too so if you need any assistance, just let me know. BTW, I use a fusion virtual machine for eac3to.

I too like MakeMKV for it's simplicity and it is my tool of choice right now on the Mac. Don't get me wrong, the vast majority of Blu-rays rip just fine on MakeMKV. So go ahead and rip and enjoy your BD discs!

Mike
BigPines

Post by BigPines »

ignite wrote:Interesting idea only thing is will they work the same way my wdtv does? As in can I just hook up my USB drives?
Nope. I don't know of any up-converting media players. Unfortunately, my popcorn hour doesn't. I think this is a big oversight. I just hope I can replace all my DVDs soon.
ignite wrote:Actually it's not been a good week after reading all the hastle people have been having using 2011 mac minis hdmi out for audio has ment I've had to bin that plan too..
Bummer. For the record, I have a 2010 Core2Duo MacBook Pro and a 2011 i5 MacBook Pro and HDMI audio works just fine on both using a mini display port/thunderbolt to HDMI adaptor.

Mike
Last edited by BigPines on Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BigPines

Post by BigPines »

LordNimon wrote:I just ripped Cars 2 Blu-ray, and I don't see any audio sync problem with the MKV. Can you give me a specific example of the problem?
The easiest way to see the problem is skip to the end where Mater and the two agents are talking about their next assignment. The audio sync is definitely off. Not even a second off but off enough to be quite distracting to me. My wife and kids didn't even notice. Being a perfectionist definitely has it's down side. :)

Mike
ignite

Post by ignite »

BigPines wrote:
ignite wrote:apologies but is there a eac3to for dummies guide somewhere

Sorry but I don't know of an eac3to for dummies. It is a bit on the geeky side but it is a VERY powerful tool. I'm on a Mac too so if you need any assistance, just let me know. BTW, I use a fusion virtual machine for eac3to.

I too like MakeMKV for it's simplicity and it is my tool of choice right now on the Mac. Don't get me wrong, the vast majority of Blu-rays rip just fine on MakeMKV. So go ahead and rip and enjoy your BD discs!

Mike
er..yes please is "virtual machine" a way of running windows programs on a mac?

actually id probably drive you bonkers with my lack of knowledge!
LordNimon

Post by LordNimon »

BigPines wrote:
LordNimon wrote:I just ripped Cars 2 Blu-ray, and I don't see any audio sync problem with the MKV. Can you give me a specific example of the problem?
The easiest way to see the problem is skip to the end where Mater and the two agents are talking about their next assignment. The audio sync is definitely off. Not even a second off but off enough to be quite distracting to me. My wife and kids didn't even notice. Being a perfectionist definitely has it's down side. :)

Mike
Sorry, I'm just not seeing it. Even the scene before it where the off-road car bounces back on track, the sound is perfectly in sync.
BigPines

Post by BigPines »

ignite wrote:er..yes please is "virtual machine" a way of running windows programs on a mac?

actually id probably drive you bonkers with my lack of knowledge!
It is OK. We all start with the same amount of knowledge. Yes, Fusion allows you to run Windows, Linux or Mac OS X virtually on Intel OS X: http://www.vmware.com/products/fusion/overview.html

It is very handy.

Mike